Author Topic: Does Scrub Oak make a good bow?  (Read 2530 times)

Offline Jedi45

Does Scrub Oak make a good bow?
« on: July 27, 2017, 08:56:56 pm »
Hello! Has anyone made a bow out of scrub Oak? It grows all over Utah, where I live, and I'm just wondering if it's worth cutting one down to try it out. This will be my first bow if it works out. Thanks!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Does Scrub Oak make a good bow?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 09:57:53 pm »
Most oaks make good bows. It is at least worth a try. It's probably one of the woods the local Natives used.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 08:39:35 am by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jedi45

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 10:36:15 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I have been delaying making a bow for a long time because I have no clue what I am doing despite reading everything I can find on the subject. It seems like the more I read the less I feeI ready to start. But think I found a good tree based on my limited knowledge and suppose its time to see what I can do.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 10:37:55 pm »
  A friend brought over a stave several years ago, it made a nice bow. Very dense wood.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 11:31:13 pm »
Cut your stave as long as you can get it. Then, come back with pics and questions. We can talk you through the rest. After all, what do you have to loose?   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 11:37:24 pm »
Some Anasazi bows were scrub(gambel) oak. I live in Utah too and made a couple to test the Anasazi design. Both were from snakey trunks, but they split strait with no twist. They were light(38 and 40#). Round cross section. D bow design. 49" long and drew 24-25" no problem. One lasted years, the other got too dry in storage and let go at a knot. It will make a good bow. I've been meaning to cut more scrub. We have plenty of great bow woods here.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 05:55:02 am »
Jedi45 don't worry about not being able to make abow just try it. A lot of it will be easier to understand after you start working on one. Your first probably won't be perfect and may not even survive, but it's all good and like Pat said "what do you have to lose"? There's nothing to lose, even if it doesn't survive you will still learn so much. My only caution is if and when it does you will never look at a tree the same way again and be totally hooked.  )W( :BB
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Jedi45

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 05:34:37 pm »
Hey I appreciate the pointers. The wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum is awesome! It turns out I cant cut the tree down after all. I will definatly post pics when I find one I can cut down. However I did find a honey locuts with a straight branch which is about 4.5 inches in diameter. Is that big enough? Do I split it or just carve it down from a full log? I will be cutting it down on monday and can post pics then.