Author Topic: Birch bark over sinew  (Read 1500 times)

Offline DC

Birch bark over sinew
« on: July 23, 2017, 12:00:14 pm »
I just put Birch bark over my sinew bow using Elmers Probond(similar to TDII/III) I think). Do I have to wait much more than 24 hours to bend it? I'm thinking of the water in the glue reacting with the hide glue.

Offline High-Desert

Re: Birch bark over sinew
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 12:52:08 pm »
I would wait a bit longer. I put rawhide over sinew with TBIII, and I lost nearly 10 pounds of draw weight, it didn't come back for a few weeks. But that's just one experience with it.
Eric

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 12:56:33 pm »
Id wait at least 5 days, Don. And that's only if you have 50% humidity or less. Longer if its higher. You not only have to let the bark and glue dry out and cure, but you also introduced moisture back into the sinew and bow wood, slight as it may be, it's not worth losing reflex or changing your tiller.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 01:03:42 pm »
And back in the box it goes. Right after I do a couple of fix-ups on the bark job.
Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 01:11:21 pm »
I'd also wait a while. The birch bark acts like a vapor barrier but in this case it holds the moisture from the glue in.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 07:29:15 am »
That procedure falls int my 10 day rule wait again.Might be long but it's never failed me.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 11:28:57 am »
It's a bit different as you used bark and I used fish skin. But when I glued the skins in with TB3 and the skins being wet wen applied. The bow lost 4" of teflex that took 2-3 weeks to creep back with no shift for the first week.

Kyle

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 11:35:03 am »
This is making me wonder if a person should tie the bow into reflex every time you do something like this? Like if Kyle had tied his bow into reflex would he have gained a bit?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 12:44:04 pm »
DC, it surely wouldn't hurt anything to tie the bow up in reflex as it dries and it may help.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 12:52:54 pm »
I would watch the bark closely, make sure it doesn't buckle on you.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 06:58:16 pm »
It does'nt hurt to put a little tension of say an extra 1" reflex on it if you like while it dries.I've done that,but still waited 10 days with birch bark.Do that with snake skins too though.My birch bark is about typing paper thickness or less.It does'nt matter in the end.when you pull it to full draw again that little bit will pull right out to your original reflex you had.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed