Author Topic: hide glue being stubborn about drying  (Read 1308 times)

Offline rkeltner

hide glue being stubborn about drying
« on: July 18, 2017, 11:53:35 am »
before i start, i want to say this is not a big deal, yet, particularly considering the humidity here in indiana right now. that said, i applied a silk tie to the back of a sinew backed osage bow for my granddaughter using titebond hide glue, and now a week later, the glue is suprisingly sticky! i've used it before and the tackiness has stopped earlier than this, so i'm being a little paranoid! not really sure what i'm asking for with this post, other than open comments or suggestions.

Offline PatM

Re: hide glue being stubborn about drying
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 12:08:18 pm »
Sounds like the glue expired.  Liquid hide glue is also known for getting tacky again in humidity apparently, even after it is cured.

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 12:38:16 pm »
that's not good to hear. is there any solution/hack for getting it to cure without stripping and reapplying?  liquid hide glue has never given me this kind of problem before. come to think of it, i've used this batch within the past 2 or 3 months, again, in dryer weather.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 03:41:51 pm »
I have used that glue in the past with no issues but always check it by smelling and put a couple drops on you fingers and rubbing them together gently if it doesent get tacky in a few minutes it's bad, but when it's bad it smells rotten I have made my own liquid hide glue by adding about 8 % uriica  for a longer gel time that worked well and can make it fresh ,for pigment pants you can add higher percentages  you could probably get that off easy with a hair dryer with out damaging the sinew
If you fear failure you will never Try !