Author Topic: Small osage trees ready to go  (Read 4257 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Small osage trees ready to go
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 12:27:23 pm »
Boy howdy, I would love to have a nice deep draw to plant about a hundred of these in a cluster, all nice and close to each other.  Then every few years, weed out those that are not growing straight enough or are impeding a better growing tree.  Being packed in close and tight, the best of them would "run for the sun", growing straight and tall as fast as possible.  I am imagining ending up with ten trees forty years later, no branches for about 15-18 feet, utility pole straight, and ready to fill out for another forty years before some kid finds them after reading an old antique copy of The Bowyer's Bible and his great granddaddy's draw knife.

The best time to plant a tree is 40 years ago. The next best time is today.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 01:22:38 pm »
I would avoid sending them when they are so young and growing. One of my chickens pulled out one of my 5" Osage seedlings from a pot while scratching around. I got it back within an hour and it isn't making it. It may be ok if you wrap it in some moist soil. But nearly all trees are shipped dormant and it might be best to wait.
Eric

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2017, 03:54:38 pm »
          JW, I thought about planting them just how you said all in one clump. I ended up planting them in about 8 different places. Most in partial sun, a couple in full sun. They've been planted for a couple weeks now and most look real good with bright leaves yet.
        I've been planting trees for 33 years now. Mostly pines but some Black Walnut and Oak also. I have tree stands in pines I planted now. I've planted over a thousand of them. I had real good Luck with the Oaks  I planted this spring.
Bjrogg

A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 06:57:14 pm »
Ohhhh Geeze...that's thoughtful.Well that'll help Robin like my hobby even better bjrogg.Thanks!!Look forward to it in the mail.I'll make sure she sees your bows posted on here too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 08:37:38 am »
If you have anymore left I would really like a couple lso.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 09:27:53 am »
I'll check into it hunterbob.She had others starting but we thought were too small yet back then.I'll PM you of the progress.
The question of survival is just a matter whether the roots can get established from now to frost.It's a gamble but tell me what is'nt when growing things especially left on their own.I've seen Robin start & transplant many trees through a growing season to survive into the next spring.Off the top of my head catalpas and oaks from seed.It's all about good growing conditions.Personally I would maybe mulch it a bit.One concern through the winter if you have one is about rabbits[they will cut them off and kill them] besides deer.The deer will browse shoulder height most times but not always.It's after red clover I see them go to the ground.
It can be surprising how quick they can grow.If your in your 40's I'd say you'll get bows.Provided you take care of yourself too.....lol.
BowEd
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 07:05:32 pm »
Here's a shot of my 2 year old hedgerow with my kids in the pic for scale.  :)

They're doing great (through a hefty winter too). We've got lots of critters around and nothing's touched them so far.  (B) :-D :OK
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:09:54 pm by upstatenybowyer »
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 08:25:56 am »
There ya go....Nice pics.....I've got situations like that around here too I could take pictures of.Thanks upstate.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2017, 09:28:35 am »
BJ can knap pretty well I'd say.A point he sent me.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2017, 10:44:03 am »
Glad it got there in one piece Ed. I'm sorry it took me so long been crazy busy. I would have liked to make a sheath to store it. I figured since Robin and you sent me trees, I'd send you both something to hang on your Christmas Tree. It is knapped from a old TV screen. It should look nice hanging with some Christmas lights behind it. Hope you had a good time at mo jam. I looked at some of the trees you sent yesterday and they are looking great, I think they have a good chance of surviving this winter.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise