Author Topic: Character bows  (Read 1230 times)

Offline DC

Character bows
« on: July 09, 2017, 06:36:33 pm »
Are character bows slower? The last couple of bows I've made have been Yew branches with a few knots and bends. Both are rather doggy, about 10-15 fps slower than my usual 160-165fps. Is it the character or are the bow gods just slapping me down for getting cocky.

mikekeswick

Re: Character bows
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 02:31:15 am »
Simple answer is yes they have to be. You need more wood to do the same job because it is of a lower 'quality'.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 08:40:24 am »
I disagree.  I think it can go both ways.  It all depends on what kind of character and how the bow is built around it.  One of my best performing bows had a hole in each limb.  It's owner killed a raccoon and a buck with it the first season he hunted with it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 09:19:13 am »
I disagree.  I think it can go both ways.  It all depends on what kind of character and how the bow is built around it.  One of my best performing bows had a hole in each limb.  It's owner killed a raccoon and a buck with it the first season he hunted with it.
Ah, but they are light holes... the holes we get over in the UK are much heavier and smaller ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 11:45:15 am »
A very snaky limb surely weighs more than a straight limb of equal poundage and TTT length. So.............one should be more efficient as we know it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 02:55:47 pm »
Ah, but they are light holes... the holes we get over in the UK are much heavier and smaller ;)
Del

What about the box of holes I sent you?  Were they as heavy as the European holes native to your area?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.