Author Topic: Yew Explosion!  (Read 3480 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Yew Explosion!
« on: July 07, 2017, 06:15:58 pm »
Had this one just about finished with the tiller and then... BOOM!  (--) Not quite as explosive as ERC, but close. If you're wondering, this is not the bow I'm building for the trade. I wish I had a video. Slow motion would have been epic!  >:D
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Yew Explosion!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 06:20:34 pm »
That sucks been there done that but not with yew sorry man !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 07:00:28 pm »
It's all good.  ;) Thanks Stick  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 07:40:34 pm »
Does this knot come through the sapwood? I had one explode and there was three knots like that that didn't show on the back at all. I had actually reduced the sapwood and stopped two rings short of exposing them.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 07:48:59 pm »
I think you're on to something DC. That knot went from back to belly, but I thought had cleared it all out, leaving extra width at that spot. Upon closer inspection, there was still some of it in there, which probably led to it's demise. I've noticed from studying Del's website that he goes to great lengths to remove and plug knots on Yew bows. Perhaps my BOOM is an example of why he does that.

Nigerian Proverb

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 10:32:19 pm »
Sorry for your loss Jeff. I'm sure you'll get over it though. (--)
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 10:49:13 pm »
Damn sorry bud...

Offline steve b.

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 11:16:54 pm »
Stuff happens.  Based on your other great bows I know this won't slow you down.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 11:27:55 pm »
Thanks for the consolation gentlemen. I like posting these unfortunate events cause it's all part of the learning process. I believe Edison said "I didn't invent the lightbulb, I invented 999 ways not to."  :-K  :D

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 02:27:04 am »
Shame when such a pretty piece of Yew goes bang.
Just to clarify my philosophy with knots, IMO It's the belly that needs plugging as the thin black ring you often see round a knot has no compression strength and can allow the belly to buckle or pinch. On the back I try to leave the undisturbed, with a little extra width (which is what you did :) ), the hole in the middle is ok, 'cos a hole is probably as strong in tension as a glued plug!
If a knot is simply too bad or has dodgy sapwood or no sapwood, I will rasp out a long shallow scoop and patch over with clean sapwood.
Mind I still get my share of blow ups!  >:( ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 08:38:27 am »
Thanks Del  :)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Linc

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 09:17:48 am »
I also had a yew explode at an inch shy of desired draw. It was even rawhide backed. I made a takedown out of it using osage for the opposite limb. It looked real strange but still made a working bow.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 04:17:07 pm »
Ouch! hate it when that happens in the last stage. I feel your pain :o Had an almost finished yew buckle on a belly knot last week. Applied a "Del patch" on it, will post it next week if it decides to become a bow after all.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 07:42:02 pm »
Linc, that sounds like an epic fix! The king and queen of bow wood married together as a take down. You should post a pic of that one. You could call it... "The Royal Wedding"  (-S

Leon, those Del patches are magic. Best of luck with that bow! :OK

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Linc

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2017, 06:33:43 am »
Jeff, I had named it Yew-sage. I may still have pics of it on photobucket.