Author Topic: Planted some bows?  (Read 4800 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Planted some bows?
« on: July 04, 2017, 07:15:13 am »
Was sent some really nice seedlings from Ed and Robin. I planted them last night and they look  like they should have a good chance. Who knows what they may grow into.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Planted some bows?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 07:31:12 am »
That one looks pretty good Brian.Like you said time will tell but with just a little luck.I know Gary Davis has osage growing around him I think and he's in Michigan.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 07:38:07 am »
Thanks Ed, I really don't see any reason it shouldn't grow here. Especially close to the Lake. The big lake keeps us cooler in summer but keeps us from getting really cold in winter.
Bjrogg
PS I still posted this picture Photobucket IMG saved to my phones library and posted from my phones library. Still don't know if they will disappear but so far all my pictures are still here using that method
Bjrogg

Offline Stoner

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 10:08:55 pm »
I harvested some really nice Osage when I lived in Freeland, along the Tittabawasee River. Now I live in OKC and see it everywhere. John

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 07:11:28 am »
Thanks Stoner, that's good to know. I'm thinking these trees will make it. They seem to like it here so far.
Bjrogg

Offline Little John

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 07:26:21 pm »
I wish I had of done that  years ago.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 01:42:50 am »
Should do well BJ - Osage all over here in Michigan. I was amazed when I found out what it is - specially here in the Lower half in Farm Country  )W(. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 05:52:08 am »
       Me to little John, but I'm glad I planted all the other types of trees I have over the 30+ years. Had know idea I'd be making selfbows till a couple years ago. Didn't even know what Osage was.
       Thanks Bob, that's great to know. I've heard of a few people who said it grows here. It must be more common than I realized. With all the Ash trees dieing I'm finding trees I never knew we had now. Maybe I even find some Osage. I've never seen the "apples" here before but maybe I just missed them. I've really never looked for them or the trees.
Bjrogg

Offline chamookman

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 02:38:03 am »
I found a lot of Patches driving back roads off the beaten path. Always right along the road - planted many Years ago. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 06:12:14 am »
Thanks Bob, to tell you the truth I'm not sure I'd even know a Osage tree if I saw one. Never seen a live one other than these ones I planted. Least not that I know of.
Bjrogg

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 07:49:32 am »
Once you learn to recognise osage trees you can spot one summer or winter, 1/4 of a mile away across a field in a patch of other trees. These trees are very distinctive.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 09:28:24 am »
Once you learn to recognise osage trees you can spot one summer or winter, 1/4 of a mile away across a field in a patch of other trees. These trees are very distinctive.
I found that with yew. Once you know it you can spot them anywhere. Cheers- Brendan

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 11:09:37 am »
BJ, Deer love to eat osage leaves.  Keep an eye on your saplings.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 11:29:50 am »
I found that with yew. Once you know it you can spot them anywhere. Cheers- Brendan

I must not know how to spot it then.  :( All I see here in Kansas is osage...   ???
 ;)

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 06:00:33 pm »
I can't seem to find any Osage here on Pender either! Haha cheers- Brendan