Author Topic: Admin! Pictures gone from sticky thread  (Read 5185 times)

Offline DC

Re: Admin! Pictures gone from sticky thread
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2017, 11:37:29 am »
I think I read that PA doesn't delete photos any more. If that's true why not post directly and let Photobucket whistle for their money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 12:08:06 pm »
DC, we started suggesting Photobucket or other photo hosting sites because PA didn't have the capacity to hold all the pics that were being posted. You can directly post pics on PA if they are of the appropriate size. Unfortunately as of now PA doesn't have the space to handle a lot of pics. Hopefully we can get this cleared up. Marie is looking into what it would take to set PA up to handle the photo load.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2017, 12:52:54 pm »
I thought it had already been done, sorry. Now I understand.

Offline loon

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2017, 12:56:05 pm »
There's also
Code: [Select]
https://old.postimage.org/
https://postimage.io/
But I'm not sure if it will break too. And the ads...

What kind of hosting does PA use, that you don't have space for pics? I was able to get over 100GB of storage from a VPS(virtual private server) instance of some company for $5 a month... I guess all the pictures can add up?..

To view the PhotoBucket images, you can just right click and open in new tab for now...

(edit: not mass downloading anything, at least without permission. could put a lot of load on the forum)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 01:12:09 pm by loon »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2017, 08:34:22 pm »
There's also
Code: [Select]
https://old.postimage.org/
https://postimage.io/
But I'm not sure if it will break too. And the ads...

What kind of hosting does PA use, that you don't have space for pics? I was able to get over 100GB of storage from a VPS(virtual private server) instance of some company for $5 a month... I guess all the pictures can add up?..

To view the PhotoBucket images, you can just right click and open in new tab for now...

(edit: not mass downloading anything, at least without permission. could put a lot of load on the forum)

Using too much bandwidth slows PA down a lot.  I remember a while back when the site was as slow as a turtle
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline loon

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2017, 09:50:53 pm »
Ahhh that makes sense! So it's not a storage problem? It's that people pulling a bunch of images from PA would use up all the bandwidth.. and you have a lot more viewers/lurkers than posters?

Maybe, could have several separate hosts for image storage hosted at different places (ie img0-3.primitivearcher.com), and have the images copied to them and used from them by the forum when a user uploads a pic from within the forum post functionality itself. But it could require making a custom extension for SMF... ... and it'd cost money...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 10:02:21 pm by loon »

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2017, 10:25:35 pm »
The American Longrifles site uses the same format as this site and have set up a method of downloading pictures from your computer files directly to their site.

Here is PDF page showing how they do it. Perhaps our tech gurus can figure out how to get the same on the PA site.

http://americanlongrifles.org/PDF/ImageTutorial.pdf

Offline loon

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2017, 10:34:23 pm »
The American Longrifles site uses the same format as this site and have set up a method of downloading pictures from your computer files directly to their site.

Here is PDF page showing how they do it. Perhaps our tech gurus can figure out how to get the same on the PA site.

http://americanlongrifles.org/PDF/ImageTutorial.pdf
They are using a third party site - https://imgbb.com/
Seems pretty easily doable.

Offline DC

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2017, 11:52:45 am »
Maybe in the meantime whenever a thread is made sticky or otherwise important the admins could make copies of the pictures and substitute them for the original Photobucket(or whatever) photos. At least we wouldn't lose them. The limb twist thread is pretty much useless without pics and 4est Trekker hasn't been here since last October so they likeky won't be back.

Offline loon

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2017, 03:52:37 am »
Maybe in the meantime whenever a thread is made sticky or otherwise important the admins could make copies of the pictures and substitute them for the original Photobucket(or whatever) photos. At least we wouldn't lose them. The limb twist thread is pretty much useless without pics and 4est Trekker hasn't been here since last October so they likeky won't be back.
Right click and open in new tab on the images works for me to see them right now.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 03:57:12 am by loon »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2017, 06:52:40 am »
I don't know if this problem is still going to catch up with me or if it's the way I post them but my pictures I think are still here. I use my phone. When I make a IMG copy on Photobucket I save images to my phone. Then when I post on site I post the image of copies from my phones library. It's the only way I ever figured out how to do it. I really don't know if it would help the third party problem or if I'm still going to have mine erased yet to. I don't post them directly from Photobucket, I post a saved copy if I'm explaining that good enough. I'm Not very good on computer
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline loon

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2017, 06:02:26 pm »
I don't know if this problem is still going to catch up with me or if it's the way I post them but my pictures I think are still here. I use my phone. When I make a IMG copy on Photobucket I save images to my phone. Then when I post on site I post the image of copies from my phones library. It's the only way I ever figured out how to do it. I really don't know if it would help the third party problem or if I'm still going to have mine erased yet to. I don't post them directly from Photobucket, I post a saved copy if I'm explaining that good enough. I'm Not very good on computer
Bjrogg

sounds like you downloaded them from photobucket and reuploaded them directly to primitive archer. They still periodically delete pictures because they can't handle the traffic.

I suggest to the PA admins to make backups of all the old pics before deleting them, so that they could be restored when we get more resources/an image hosting site/whatever. access to the actual web hosting files may be required for this. if I ever get a job, I'd be willing to set up an image hosting site..