Author Topic: Red elm youth bow design advice  (Read 1608 times)

Offline dane lund

Red elm youth bow design advice
« on: July 01, 2017, 12:56:35 pm »
I have a nice little red elm stave, approx 52" long..  I'd like to build a 20 to 25 lb bow for my grand daughter.
Any advice on bow design?
In His grip,
Smallpatch

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Red elm youth bow design advice
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 01:29:23 pm »
I'd say make it a bendy handle bow. But I say that about every bow ;). I like to make kid bows with long draw lengths, so they can grow into it a little. Example, if her draw length now is only 18" shoot for 20#@18", but tiller it all the way out to 24-25". A bendy handle red elm bow at 52" will easily give you 24" draw. The draw weight will increase the further she draws as she grows.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 04:03:27 am »
+1 on everything TD says, although most of the youth bows I built are stiff handle. They end up narrow to keep the weight down, but the one I built full width was hollow limb and really thin (3mm) and is one of the best pound-for-pound performing bows I've built. The sweetest shooting is a mini-elb. Next one I build will be a bendy handle d-bow with flipped tips for string tension.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 07:23:47 am »
I personally like a stiff handle and wide, hooked arrow shelf for kids. No arrow hassles that way and more fun for them. Make a 3" handle and 1.5" fades. Pyramid or flat bow design is fine.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 07:24:06 am »
1" wide is plenty.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dane lund

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 10:37:00 am »
Thanks all.  Pearly, that's what ,I was looking for.
In His grip,
Smallpatch

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 02:54:45 pm »
I've built a lot of kids bows and the one piece of advice I could give you is do not make it too heavy for them. when shooting a bow you use a lot of muscles that the kids may have never used before. 15 lb sounds like nothing to us but for my six-year-old daughter it's too much. I lowered it down to about 8 to 10 lb at 18 in and she has a lot more fun shooting. The key is getting a light enough arrow that flies so the kids have fun. A 10 lb bow with a quarter inch Arrow flies like a dart and  sticks in targets. If the arrow don't stick the kids instantly lose all interest. Ever since I lighten my daughter's bow her form has gotten excellent. Definitely better than mine

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 04:14:38 pm »
I agree completely with Paul. It is way to easy to be to heavy. Especially for beginners even adults. Keep it very light and use very light arrows. I like forsythia for kids arrows with a piece of heavy gauge copper wire for a tip.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise