Author Topic: Black Locust allergy??  (Read 1989 times)

Offline DC

Black Locust allergy??
« on: July 01, 2017, 12:11:09 am »
I've been chasing a ring on a couple of BL billets over the last couple of days. I also have had a nagging cough for a couple of days. Coincidence or allergy?? Anyone else get this?

Offline shofu

Re: Black Locust allergy??
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 12:44:48 am »
I haven't worked with it much but have heard bad things about dust from Yew, BL and eveN yellow cedar. In the wood working community I am from, there is a school of thought that so called 'white woods' are prefential to work with for this reason.
I wear a mask now with any irritant woods with lots of dust
G
Cheers,
George

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 08:04:25 am »
I haven't worked with BL but have ever increasing problems with osage and walnut dust. These sensitivities developed over the last 6 or 7 years of my 20 years working with these woods.

I wear a painter's cartridge respirator mask now when I make bows osage bows, hickory doesn't bother me.

Stop working on your bows for a few days to see if your symptoms clear up then resume your work and you will know if it is the wood dust if your symptoms come back.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 10:56:36 am »
I don't have an allergy to BL but it has an allergy to me. Symptoms...fretting.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 07:24:38 pm »
I've worked BL a lot and never had a problem.
But that does not mean you do not.
See what happens; wear a high quality mask.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 02:41:22 am »
I found BL to bother Me a bit too, but Folks - We ALL should wear at least a mask, if not a resperator dealing with all the Saw dust We deal with ! I'm sure I sucked down pounds of Osage dust at the Band Saw and have been told that contributed to the COPD/Emphysema I have to deal with now I'm Older. Do Your Self a favor - protect Your Lungs ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 08:19:13 am »
Good advice Bob, time and exposure take a toll.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline dane lund

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 10:42:57 am »
I don't have any problem with breathing the dust,  but a couple of hours working with Osage....... hives and lots of itching.
If you look up Osage on the wood toxicity chart, it's not only an irritant to skin and lungs,  it's also a sensitizer.  Which means it gets worse with each exposure.
Damn, the best wood I've worked with is gonna kill me.
Oh well, winter time project, when I can wear long sleeves and pants, as well as a respirator.
In His grip,
Smallpatch

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 01:44:18 pm »
Osage gets me too-the first time I worked it I passed out and was insensible to the next day, not to mention hives and throat swelling.

As to the respirator, I'm 35 and have a restrictive lung disease and barely any lung capacity because in part I didn't wear one and worked bone and amber.  Can't undo it, can only wear one from here on out.