Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Shooting machine and a heavy Turkish flight bow

<< < (2/7) > >>

avcase:
I start with a total strength of string that is four times the draw weight of the bow. So this would be 4x90=360 pounds. I'd expect a quality fully served linen string with reinforced loops will have a total mass of about 90 grains. 

I can gone down to 3 times the draw weight of the bow for a reeled silk string, but the strength-to-weight and stiffness-to-weight of silk is not as good as linen, so the performance suffers.

Alan

mikekeswick:
Thanks Alan, 4x strength it is then. I'll see what I can come up with and see what the weight comes out at.
I haven't been able to get out and shooting this thing yet as the fields I use are full of grass for hay. They are being cut in the next week or so. I made an overdraw device for the machine and I can now shoot 24 inch arrows at a 28 inch draw.

Del the cat:
Let's have a pic showing your trigger arrangement and a long shot pretty please :)
It will provide some vicarious satisfaction  ;D
Del

mikekeswick:
No problem Del. I'll try and get one today. The trigger is a compound trigger activated by a series of levers that move when they hit a stop on the rail. I need to tie a D-loop onto the string to get a true straight pull on the small nocks and make a few changes but it works fairly well. I have also added an overdraw so can now shoot the 24 inch arrows at 28.
I've just got permission to use some perfect fields, much better than my old place. I've now got about 1000yards :) The grass is being cut in the next week or so and hopefully we will have some nice weather by then.

Del the cat:
Ta,
Lucky man, I have trouble getting permission to shoot anywhere suitable near me. Air traffic control at Stansted Airport keep chucking me out ;)
Del

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version