Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Shooting machine and a heavy Turkish flight bow

<< < (5/7) > >>

mikekeswick:
Cheers :)
I might rig up my chrono to get some arrow speed numbers next time.
I've got a new trigger to fix to the machine now.
I've also been contemplating making some sectional arrows from purpleheart. I have a lovely piece of a perfect grained board left that isn't much use for anything else. I may also try greenheart and some ipe I have. I'd like to try some out of b.locust due to its stiffness but I have none left.
Hopefully I will be getting back down to my 'range' at the weekend with all the problems ironed out. fingers crossed the weather is better.

mikekeswick:
I got the p/heart and g/heart shafts glued up. Around 220 grains to 250 grains.
I would like to see what a dyneema string would do for this bow but I fear the worst after reading about Adam's failures with fastflight. Although I'm not precious about this bow so may give it a go.

Aaron H:
Very cool Mike, I would love to see those arrows you're working on too.  Good luck this weekend, hope the weather is cooperative  (R

mikekeswick:
I went to the fields the other day with my 60# Turk warbow. The flight bow had raised a few sinew fibers on the back so I removed the last layer and put down another continuous layer. The original layer was some water buffalo backstrap, it had a 'dry' texture when I removed it. This backstrap didn't allow me to reduce its thickness as much as I would've liked to, the fibers kept snapping when trying to go finer. I always try to get the fibers as fine as possible so that the glue gets to 'wet' more of the sinew. I think this is the reason the Turks only used leg sinew, it is softer and possible to split finer for the better wetting of the fibers leading to a more homogenous sinew layer.  I put more sinew on than I took off so it is likely to be close to 100# when dry.
Anyway I really only went to test the machine as I had made a few changes. It is now working perfectly and is strong enough for the 100# plus bows I want to test out. The warbow shot best with arrows around 280 - 300 grain arrows and consistently put the best arrow 15 yards or so further than the rest. Best distance was 410 yards. The lighter sectional purpleheart/greenheart/Tonkin arrows didn't fly so great from this bow but still were going around 360 yards.

Aaron H:
Very cool Mike, how does that compare using the same bow drawn by hand?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version