Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Shooting machine and a heavy Turkish flight bow

(1/7) > >>

mikekeswick:
I've made shooting machine for my heaviest Turkish flight bow because it is too heavy for me to shoot in full control with the light arrows. I also have a new batch of flight arrows made up and ready to go. I've got high hopes for this new rig and will post the results as soon as we get a nice day with no wind.
Bow is 90# + and my arrows are all from 190 grains to around 250 grains. 6 piece Tonkin cane and some pitch pine and deal. There has got to be a 400 yard + shot is here somewhere!
I'm working on making a light string for it at the moment but the string is very high and I'm a bit scared going light with the linen I have as it seems a bit brittle, breaking at 7 - 8# per strand. Maybe it is a bit dry?

avcase:
Very cool!

Where are you doing the shooting?  You can always lightly dampen a linen string with a damp cloth and pluck the string a couple of times to shake off any excess moisture. Only a couple grains of water can radically increase the strength of linen.

As an alternative, you can use reeled silk.  Silk is much less sensitive to humidity and variation in tension distributed across the strands. On the other hand, a linen string has to be made perfect, but the performance will be much better.

I look forward to your results. 400+ yards is a pretty elite club for Primitive flight equipment.

Alan

BowEd:
I would say so too.90#'s shooting a 200 grain arrow.That's almost a dry fire.I can see why your concerned about the string holding up.If there's anyone who can do it you can Mike.Wish you success with it.
I'll try to get a pic of the shoooting machine Gary made over here.

mikekeswick:

Here is the rough and ready mk1 version. I threw it together to make sure the idea was going to work :)
I might be going down to my friends farm to shoot it this afternoon, it is windy today though. Thanks for the info about dampening the linen strings. What strength would you be aiming for in a string for this bow Alan?
I'd be interested to see it Ed. A photo would be great.

BowEd:
Awesome!!!OK Mike.I like that mk1.Garys' gone up north fishing in Canada at the moment.I'd think with a shooting machine that it's got to be securely fixed to the ground too while shooting.The bow looks awesome!!!
Gary made one to see the difference in speed between a trigger release and finger release.Don't know how heavy duty it is.Think it's on a saw horse type set up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version