Author Topic: Vice jaw liner  (Read 2238 times)

Offline DC

Vice jaw liner
« on: June 12, 2017, 03:50:18 pm »
Is there anything better than leather for vice jaws? I've been quite happy with leather. I got a new vice and thought I would check before I made new leather ones.

Offline PatM

Re: Vice jaw liner
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 04:59:11 pm »
Pieces of tire tread.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 05:08:43 pm »
These are easy to make and work well.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 05:22:34 pm »
I made oak pads with leather glued on similar to Erics except mine were smaller and I put some rare earth magnets to hold them to the vise. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 05:38:38 pm »
It's just the liner material I'm asking about. The tires don't leave black marks? The ones on my car always did ;) ;) ;)

Offline gifford

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 06:04:36 pm »
I glued pieces of indoor/outdoor carpet to one my sets of plywood jaw pads. Hold bow staves quite well and lasts a long time. Otherwise, the design was like Eric's.

I picked up a set of semi-soft jaw pads somewhere, who knows, they likely followed me home, generally they deform and squish when I tightened the jaws of the vise. If they were larger they may work, I don't know.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 06:35:46 pm »
You guys that are using leather for pads, do you just contact cement them to the vise jaws?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 06:36:42 pm »
I use TB glue for the leather pads
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 06:43:40 pm »
I use 1/8" industrial grade rubber, a fraction wider than the jaws, and just a single piece laid in there like a saddle, or U shape. In and out in a second, holds tight, doesn't leave a mark, takes a ton of abuse, lasts for years. I use it from the time the stave is roughed in until the finish is on, leather on the grip, string serving and silencers, any and all odd jobs, the works. I think in all the years I've been doing this... I'm maybe on my third little piece.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 07:07:42 pm »
My vice is the centerpiece of my shop and I use it for a wide range of tasks. There are LOTS of times I need the toothed steel jaws of my vice to really bite into something big, heavy, or hard and leather, wood, copper, rubber, etc isn't going to cut it and needs to be removed in an instant. Just me, but I'm not gluing or bolting anything to those jaws.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 07:35:56 pm »
You guys that are using leather for pads, do you just contact cement them to the vise jaws?

Contact cement.