Author Topic: Shredding Sinew  (Read 4353 times)

Offline DC

Re: Shredding Sinew
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 03:23:48 pm »
Thanks Goat  Some of the pieces have quite a taper to them. How do you get them to lay smooth on the bow? I'm finding that if I start shredding from the outside the pieces run by the "Y" a little better

DWS On my elk tendons if I threw away from the "Y" up I'd be losing about 4" of tendon. The tendons are 15-18" long so that I'd be throwing away 1/4

PatM  soaking seemed to help but then I have to make sure all the pieces are dry before I bag them. That's not the end of the world though

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2017, 05:08:00 pm »
What length goes in the glue pot?

mikekeswick

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2017, 02:43:03 am »
I pound it for a little while on the anvil. Then clamp by the Y in my vice. I then only ever split the pieces in half. Keep going until the 'halves' are fine enough. Don't do it when wet....it is too weak then. 10+ years of rock climbing help get your fingers strong enough ;)
the leg sinew is the best - backstrap is too rough textured at final diameter for me to use. Bear in mind that I am only sinewing hornbows and need the very best/smoothest sinew. Backstrap also doesn't absorb glue as well and the finished backing is a bit 'dry' for hornbows, however it is ok for wood bows and a good burnishing at the correct stage of drying will smooth it off.
Once you have all the sinew halved then it is time to cut off at the Y end and then you remove the 'tapered' sections so that the whole length is one diameter. I do this with my teeth. After they are all the same diameter get a good strong steel comb and comb the ends so that you have a gradual taper (going the correct way now!).

Offline chamookman

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2017, 03:50:47 am »
I watched Gary process a TON of leg Sinew over the Years. He used a Hammer and had a chunk of rail-road rail for an anvil. You don't beat the crap out of it, kinda a finesse thing, practice makes perfect. I believe He always thought Back Sinew was inferior to Leg Tendon, Great for Arrow Wraps and such. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2017, 07:41:13 am »
After shreading & soaking you can lay the tapered bundles out and overlap them by abut 1 1/2 in. The tapers are a non isue also if your having isues with pulling apart the shreads with the pliers a couple needle nose vice scrips help elk sinew is usually preety easy to get apart.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline DuBois

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2017, 09:15:44 am »
With tough big legs I use a trim hammer on concrete floor and finesse as not to pound through fibers along the edge. I put 1/2 of the fat end in the table vise and cinch it tight. might smash a tiny bit on the end but that is usually pretty tough anyway. I get a split going of just a nice portion of the free half (can even nick it gently with a sharp hatchet but should be able to get it with pliers) and I pull it without much regard for tearing a few fibers in half. They will still be usable, just as a shorter bunch when done. If I can't get it free all the way I just get another little section and work it the same way. Maybe switch to one of the Y ends and I just keep coming at it this way until I have it down to several bigger cords. You can then tear into them without too much trouble.
As you go you'll start to see how the Y is interlaced and be able to pick out which part to tug next. Sometimes it was worth it to tear a few parts and just accept that these would still be usable as short bundles.

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2017, 03:27:44 pm »
Is a louse comb too fine for combing out the sinew?

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2017, 10:41:07 pm »
Yes I would say so. The teeth may bend as well.

They sell paint brush combs at paint stores with what look like finishing nails for teeth. That's what I use. Well a homemade version anyway. A piece of hardwood pre-drilled to hold long finishing nails epoxied in place for the teeth.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna