Author Topic: Shredding Sinew  (Read 4354 times)

Offline DC

Shredding Sinew
« on: June 08, 2017, 11:32:26 am »
I finally got around to shredding the elk tendons I got a couple of years ago. Tough job. I think it took me 1 1/2 hours to get one apart. I still have to shred them into "angel hair". They seem to be all tangled right at the "Y". I saw a video where the guy split the "Y" sideways into two "Y's" but I couldn't get that to work. The guys in the videos seemed to pound them for a couple of minutes and then started tearing them apart. I was wailing away at it for a half hour before I could push a screwdriver though it. Is there an easier method. With my old hands I think I'll only manage one a day so any clues would sure be appreciated.

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Shredding Sinew
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 11:44:01 am »
Use 2 pairs of pliers makes it easy !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 11:44:33 am »
I don't touch leg tendons because they are a pain. I use back sinew only and can process a bows worth in an hour or so. Sorry I didn't answer your question. Maybe loo for back sinews next time.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 12:10:59 pm »
I got the legs from a game processor and I was lucky to get them. I don't think they would be willing to take the time to strip out the backstrap. The way this is going I might not live long enough to make more than one sinewed bow anyway ;D ;D

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 12:12:35 pm »
Never done elk but in whitetail I get my teeth and feet involved pretty often. Clamp down with your teeth on one side, grab the other side with both hands, get your feet up on your hands. Focus on clamping with your hands, pushing with your feet, and hope your molars don't pull out of your head.
Or a pair of pliers or vice grips are much easier.

Kyle

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 12:32:49 pm »
Another question. In the videos they say to throw away the sheath. Is this the sheath? I can get some decent sinew out of this. Why throw it away?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 12:52:01 pm »
I've been fortunate over the years to never had to shred sinew. Somehow it has always come to me already shredded and ready for use.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 01:00:24 pm »
I just processed a load of elk leg tendons.  I pound it with a rubber mallet on the ground then just pull them apart with pliers.  It's not too bad but it is time consuming.  All bits unused I save then I'll make some glue.  Don't think there is any easier way!
1’—>1’

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 01:40:00 pm »
Wasn't so much easier as little tricks that I was looking for. Rubber mallet,eh? On the ground? You must have hard ground in Florida, or is it all paved over now ;) ;) ;D ;D

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 01:44:46 pm »
It's just a lot of work, that's all there is too it. You can get some decent sinew out of the sheath portion, it's just a ton more work for the amount you get out of it. Unless they meant the papery portion. I used to try to get every little bit of sinew I could get out, but not anymore. If it's too wirey to mess with, it goes in the glue pot.
Eric

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 01:45:10 pm »
Try soaking them and pulling apart while wet. ;)

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 01:57:55 pm »
Pat--Got a piece soaking now, about a half hour?

HD--When you have a limited supply you have to use all you can.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 02:14:14 pm »
I shred a lot of whitetail leg sinew each year, probably 50 pieces or more.  I use a hammer to pound the tendons until they break up into fiber bundles.  I don't find it to hard to process them.  It just takes a little time.  I scrub them and remove the sheath before I dry them. Then I cut off anything that looks greasy after they are dry.  When I'm done I have pure white fibers.  I save the clean scraps for glue. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 02:39:09 pm »
I throw away the sheath and don't save the Y. Yeah, my sinew may be an inch shorter, but it's still plenty long and a lot easier to process.... relatively speaking.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 02:52:28 pm »
Don, the "Y" can be tricky, the fibres go this way and that in there, and if you just use brute force you will for sure tear some.
When pounding, use 2 very smooth surfaces. I use the butt end of a steel wedge supported in a vice, and a hammer. Just keep pounding and pulling right up to the "Y" intersection. You will keep stalling out there, but keep pounding and separating on all 3 parts, and eventually the "Y" intersection will become loose and it all comes apart. No pliers needed.