Author Topic: blackthorn suitable design and approach  (Read 1955 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
blackthorn suitable design and approach
« on: June 08, 2017, 02:21:55 am »
I have a 70" long, straight (that's a novelty for me) blackthorn stave. Before I start, what do I need to do about where the thorns are coming through the sapwood? Do I treat them like knots? I'm guessing an elb is not a good idea, but, it would be my preferred option. The stave is moderately high crowned about 4" diameter.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: blackthorn suitable design and approach
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 05:13:17 am »
Just snip 'em off with side cutters?  :)
Mick Grewcock did a Blackthorn ELB... look him up on Youtube. He's a relaive newb' but seems to have got his eye in pretty quick :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 09:28:45 am »
Nice video Del, I hadn't thought of leaving the bark on, but the thorns don't look like their going to weaken the back and I do like the look of the bark all polished up

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 12:50:03 pm »
It's not a good idea to leave the bark on a bow. If it cracks it can transfer down into the wood. Adding bark as a backing, decorative or otherwise can work well but the bark has to be suitable for this.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 02:47:36 am »
It is dense, elastic and a very good bow wood. It is English osage in my book.
disregard the small thorns.
It will make any kind of bow you want. Elb no problem.
Be careful drying it as it will check if you look at it funny. It takes a long time to dry and is probably best left to lose the intial moisture for a week or so then rough out into a bow blank. Remove the pith or it will check to it.
Go narrow with the bow if going for a 70 inch elb. You don't mention weight or drawlength but you don't want to be over 1 inch wide at the handle.