Author Topic: Yew Molle Hybrid with Sturgeon skins 52#@28" (traded for amazing quiver)  (Read 6020 times)

Offline Weylin

I've been admiring the leather work of Lee Slikkers on facebook for some time now. If you haven't seen his work you should check it out at slikkers split cane and leather goods. I've been wanting a fancy quiver for a while now so I approached Lee and asked if he was up for a trade. Thankfully he was and we worked out what he wanted for a bow and what I wanted for a quiver.

He liked the look of a past molle I had made so we went from there. I broke a hollow-limbed oceanspray molle that was my first choice. That opened the way for this yew molle that turned out better, I think. It was a slightly deflexed stave to start with and I wanted to mess around with the ratios and profiles of the design. I keep coming back to these modified mollegabets. They are fun to make and are great shooters. I made a rounded wide working limb and shorter reflexed levers. Since I reduced the sapwood I decided to back it with rawhide for some added insurance. The sturgeon skins are there as a cosmetic accent. The bow is 63" ntn and pulls 52#@ 28". It has a smooth draw, zero hand shock and shoots nice and quick. Lee is planning to use it for some Michigan bucks this Fall. I hope it comes through for him.

Enough about my bow, I want to show off the amazingly awesome quiver that Lee made for me. It is somehow exactly what I wanted while at the same time completely exceeding my expectations. We designed in based off of my effective but homely hunting quiver. There was a lot of back and forth discussing measurements, design and artistry. His final product shows his incredible skill with leather and his attention to detail. I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 10:53:42 pm by Weylin »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Yew Molle Hybrid with Sturgeon skins 52#@28"
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 10:08:25 pm »
Both the bow and quiver are exceptional. Very well done for both of you and Lee, Weylin.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 10:40:55 pm »
WOW . .. . x2!

I noted your decision to back the outer portion of the working limbs. That's exactly the area I've experienced tension failures in  molle-type designs. Will definitely try backing in next attempt.

You guys have done mighty good. Congrats to each!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 10:52:41 pm »
Thanks, Pat!

Thank you, Knoll. The whole working limb is backed with rawhide. The sturgeon is glued onto the rawhide and isn't really adding anything besides some looks and a little mass. (sturgeon skin makes great backing, I just don't think they are doing much glued to the rawhide.)

Offline bubby

Saw it earlier and i still don't know who got the better end of the deal. Top work all around
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Aaron H

Looks like a couple guys who know what they are doing.  Two great pieces

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
Wowzers! Great trade for both of you. Exceptional craftsmanship by both artists!
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Like bubby said, don't know who got the best deal. Looks like both of you.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

Inspirational.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
Amazingly beautiful! Both the bow and the quiver!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Great trade!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline wizardgoat

Beautiful bow Weylin. For sure a good trade for that quiver

Offline bradsmith2010

beautiful.. congratulations,, :G

Offline bushboy

Beauty from start to finish weylin!stellar leather work lee!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Danzn Bar

Good Trade....Wow , that's a bow to be inspired by....Love them Mollies
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking