Author Topic: Laminations  (Read 6560 times)

Offline DC

Laminations
« on: June 07, 2017, 10:41:32 am »
Is a laminated piece of wood stiffer than a solid piece of the same dimensions? I'm mostly thinking of recurves(the bent part) but any input is welcome. I'm wondering if I can get away with thinner sections if I kerf my recurves.

Offline Aaron H

Re: Laminations
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 11:03:49 am »
It is essentially Perry reflex, so I would be inclined to say yes, it is stronger.   I'm sure the science team will be along to chime in though.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 11:09:38 am »
Two laminations glued together are stronger than a solid piece of wood of the same thickness. The glue joint makes the 2 lams stronger than the sum of the two by themselves.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 11:37:16 am »
Cool, that helps :D :D

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 02:11:35 pm »
So are three stronger than two?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 02:15:15 pm »
Yes. That's why laminated beams are used in construction rather than one-piece large milled beams. Its also why plywood has 4-8 layers glued together.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline willie

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 02:21:50 pm »
The glue joint makes the 2 lams stronger than the sum of the two by themselves.

PatB- what kind of glue do you see the extra strength with?

Jax- I see where you are going with that slippery slope Q.

PD-not quite. most manufactured wood products are designed with multiple pieces to utilize smaller pieces for economy and to create configurations not available in nature.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 02:34:51 pm »
Have a read:

"Although the term engineered lumber is used to describe a variety of materials, most are defined as structural components that have been fabricated. Engineered wood is manufactured by bonding together wood strands, veneers, lumber or other forms of wood fiber to produce a larger and integral composite unit that is stronger and stiffer than the sum of its parts."
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 02:39:39 pm »
And just a bit more info:

"Glulam beams and wood I-joists can carry greater loads over longer spans than is possible with solid sawn wood of the same size," 

Offline willie

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 02:56:01 pm »
PD-
can't argue with a unidentified source. what are you quoting? if I chip up an aspen tree to manufacture a sheet of OSB, the sum of it's parts might be....a pile of chips? 

"Glulam beams and wood I-joists can carry greater loads over longer spans than is possible with solid sawn wood of the same size,"

I do not think that "is possible" is meant as an absolute strength wise in the case of glulams.  "is economically possible" would be true.

There is a reduction of dead load when using sheet product for webs in I-joists, but that advantage s not really what the OP is asking about.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 03:01:10 pm »
Answer his question if the rest of us are wrong.

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 03:06:25 pm »
  I know that laminated bow will usually have less thickness than a self bow by close to 1/8" on the average.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 03:11:48 pm »
And I would say on average they hold their glued in shape better as well.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 03:12:22 pm »
Willie, I don't think the glue itself matters(within reason). It is the joining of the 2 lams that makes it stronger.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 04:08:08 pm »
I was reading an old book the other day (Pope's or Ford's I think but it might have been someone else) and they were talking about making a bow from hickory where you cut the back off, swapped it end for end, and glued it back on. This was supposed to be stronger and less likely to break than a self bow using the exact same piece of hickory just uncut. I'm not sure if it was the glue or the fact that the grain was swapped so that (in theory) the different variations in the grain would cover one another that made it stronger?