Author Topic: My first serious bow  (Read 3653 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: My first serious bow
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 07:16:44 pm »
Nice first bow.  ;) I broke about a hundred before I got something that shot.

Welcome aboard!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 07:49:06 pm »
Your doing ok or great rather for a first bow.It's touchy when you first start.Should I do this.Should I do that.I've got a string on it.Whooohooo!.If you can keep your first actual successful self bow alive do it.I did.You can see the changes that occur over the years.
I was so deathly afraid of having it work too close to the fades.Ended up with a 66" bow TTT with a 12' to 14" handle.I swear.Only worked midlimb.Stiff outer tips.Took set there at midlimb.I did hit draw weight and length though.It hangs up in my house retired.Now I'm practically the opposite.
Violating that back is not good thing to do next time.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2017, 08:25:06 pm »
What State do you live in?
Tn. Classic is in May, MoJam is in July, Ojam is in March? other States too. good people and lot's of fun.
If you could go to one of these selfbow Jamboree's would help.
Learn how to floor tiller, it makes all the difference.
And how to chase a ring.
Not bad for your first.
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 10:15:27 pm »
A small corner in Canada by Quebec.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Sojan

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2017, 10:20:53 pm »
Nice first bow.  ;) I broke about a hundred before I got something that shot.

Welcome aboard!

haha, thanks! Not sure I'm really satisfied with it, but it does pull roughly 46 pounds at about 28, so I guess its not that bad. As for violating the back, what do you do if you need to clean the back up from splinters exe? Certainly if you don't leave any tool marks and keep it as close to one ring as possible it is ok, no? (Wich is obv not what I did though haha).

What State do you live in?
Tn. Classic is in May, MoJam is in July, Ojam is in March? other States too. good people and lot's of fun.
If you could go to one of these selfbow Jamboree's would help.
Learn how to floor tiller, it makes all the difference.
And how to chase a ring.
Not bad for your first.

I live in Canada, in the province of Quebec, near Sorel. And thanks, I will look up floor tinllering! So much to learn :)

edit: I looked up floor tinllering, turns out I was doing it all along the proccess without knowing since I don't have a proper tillering device. But my results speek about my lack of experience by themselves! Lol
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 10:27:10 pm by Sojan »