Author Topic: Lemonwood-ebony-satinwood tri-lam  (Read 1714 times)

Offline jaxenro

Lemonwood-ebony-satinwood tri-lam
« on: June 01, 2017, 11:39:04 am »
Ebony tip overlays just started putting the finish on

Am trying something new for a finish and have some Kangaroo leather coming for the handle wrap haven't been happy with the craft store lace

Offline Bob W.

Re: Lemonwood-ebony-satinwood tri-lam
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 01:00:19 pm »
Nice job, the kangaroo lace is the only way to go!

cool_98_555

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 01:02:07 pm »
Where did you get ebony that long?  I imagine that's hard to come by and not cheap!

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 01:10:26 pm »
Being a miniature it is a lot easier and cheaper to use rare woods. Total bow is only 24" nock to nock. I could imagine what a piece of Satinwood to back a full size bow would cost it is mainly used as veneer in expensive furniture

I have another miniature in the works (getting glued up now) with a Ebony belly, Satine (bloodwood) core, and Ebony back. Doubt I could afford that full size if I could even find a 72" ebony stave

But I get it from SH Goode who supplies just about any wood in sizes to up to 1/2 by 1/2 by 2' long. I get my lemonwood and yew from him as well and have an order in for some Pernambuco

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 07:40:10 pm »
Looks sweet. Full draw pic's please.

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 08:18:54 pm »
I will after I make a new string and finish applying the finish. I started with a polymerized linseed oil base (not boiled) but have a few more steps to go

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 07:55:10 am »
Amazing what using better materials and the proper glue does. Still not perfect but this is the kangaroo leather lace and used contact cement instead of TBIII to apply it. The pictures magnify the flaws (remember the whole grip is under 1 1/4" long) but I'm not happy with the ends need to think of something there

Waiting on the string and will begin the final varnishing tonight.