Author Topic: Osage width taper  (Read 1587 times)

cool_98_555

Osage width taper
« on: May 31, 2017, 08:53:59 am »
Hi guys,

Working on a really nice osage stave right now.  The bow has been roughed out to the dimensions I like.  However, I am trying to figure out what to do on the width taper.  Right now I have it parallel for 2/3 and tapering only the last 1/3 of the limb.  There is a knot really close to the side on one limb that I could remove if I taper from halfway down the limb instead.  It is 1 1/8" wide for the parallel sections of the limb and it is 66" long.  Right  now the limbs are 3/4" thick and I want 85#+ for a draw weight.  What do you think? Should I taper from halfway out the limb to take the knot out of the picture or just leave it?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Osage width taper
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 09:21:11 am »
I always taper mid limb out and tiller accordingly. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

cool_98_555

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 09:27:54 am »
Any reason you like midlimb taper PEARL?  I read somewhere performance is better due to less mass, but i'm not sure if it that much difference performance-wise than tapering the last 1/3rd.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 09:38:55 am »
With osage you can taper from the fades(pyramid) or anywhere along the limb especially at 66" for a 28" draw. If you can eliminate the a knot I'd start the taper wherever you can to do that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 09:48:07 am »
I don't have a reason, just that I've always made them that way and it works for me. I have adjusted my heat induced reflex to match the profile I use.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 11:40:53 am »
So, Pearl, if you were building a lot of pyramid-profile bows would ya have a reflex caul with more of a constant radius?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 11:48:39 am »
hard to tell with out a pic,,
thats whats nice about bow making, you could probably do it either way and get a good bow,,
great advice from above,,

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 11:49:50 am »
I have never made a pyramid bow. But yes, I would have even reflex from fades to tips if I did make them. On a flat bow I like very little reflex the first half, then really pour it on the second half.