Author Topic: Redbud  (Read 2615 times)

Offline PeteC

Redbud
« on: May 27, 2017, 07:43:52 pm »
After 20 or so years of bow building,I finally came across a piece of wood I've wanted to try for a long time. While hog hunting back in March,I stumbled upon this young Redbud,that had been knocked flat on the ground by a larger falling tree.I cut it,and brought it home with me.I waited a couple of weeks,then cut it down to a bow size stave,then clamped it to a reflex form.I left it on the form six weeks,then removed it,and shaped it up a little. The tree was a little less than 2" diameter,and I got about 64" of usable lenght.I was pleased that it retained all the reflex from the form,and seems to be a very strong elastic wood. It will be 1 1/4" at the widest spot in the handle,and I will probably go the D-bow design because of me unfamiliarity of the wood. Have any of y'all had a successful redbud build? Any comments would be appreciated. I seem to recall Pappy had a good stave.Did he ever do the build? Thanks fellas,   God Bless
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 06:03:27 pm by PeteC »
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline JonW

Re: Redbud
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 07:53:51 pm »
I have used it a couple times. I thought it to be a pretty good bow wood.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 06:16:38 am »
I could'nt find anything about it in the bowyers bibles,and was curious about heat treating the belly. It also has a little heart rot going on,but by slightly narrowing the stave ,removed most of it.Tillering will take care of a little more of it. Does anyone recall of a redbud bow being posted? Thanks, God Bless

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 10:20:57 am »
Ive not seen one posted but while I was down at the classic a man showed me a redbud bow he made from its heartwood and sinew backed, so it has been turned into a bow before  ;D

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 12:02:09 pm »
Was the tree dead, or just knocked over and still living?
White woods begin to rot real quick, it may not be worth your time

Offline PeteC

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 12:30:38 pm »
It had leafed out and was blooming,(but showed a little heart rot in places)he tillering process should clean it up pretty good. Dylan, did he mention whether backing it was out of necessity,or to improve performance? Jon,did you back,or heat treat your bows? Thanks for answering y'all    God Bless

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 01:57:47 pm »
Pete, I've never made a redbud bow so take this for what it's worth... I'd make a selfbow(no backing if the back is clean) like with any other whitewood and temper the belly.  I'd start out wide(as wide as you have to work with) and keep it long. If you find the limbs getting too thin start by shortening it and see where that gets you. I don't think I'd go narrower than 1 1/2" and maybe go out 8" or so before tapering to the tips.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 02:23:55 pm »
Pete I think it was to improve performance. I'd follow pats advice, he only thing I can add too that is sense it's a small diameter piece round over your sides every time you remove wood from the belly. Sometimes on narrow/high crown peices the stave decides how wide a bow you can make (A)

Offline JonW

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 04:31:02 pm »
Pete I made one rigid handle bow . 1 1/2" wide and 63" long. I toasted the belly as that is what I do on any white wood. If I remember right it was upper 50's at 26". I made a bendy handle first and it was 56" long and around 1 1/4 " wide. I flipped the tips on that one  and toasted the belly. It pulled 50-52 can't remember for sure. I would use the wood again if I found a good one.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 06:36:07 pm »
Thanks fellas. By the time I got it cleaned up it was only 1 1/4" wide ,with a taper to the tips.It's 62" long. I agree about keeping the corners well rounded,as the crown averages about 3/16" above the sides. It has a pretty clean back,as I had to chase 1 ring to get past some damage,so I'm not going to back it,but I will treat the belly. I'll let y'all know how it goes. Thanks,   God Bless

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 09:24:34 am »
Cool project, I've got a few projects like that in my head, also.
1’—>1’