Author Topic: Black Walnut Stave - PHOTOS ATTACHED  (Read 4966 times)

Offline Thunderlizard

Black Walnut Stave - PHOTOS ATTACHED
« on: May 13, 2017, 07:07:35 pm »
Hello All!

I'm new to the forum and pretty much new in the world of selfbows. I made my first out of Osage Orange at a course last year, and soon after, cut/split a bunch of Osage for future use!

In the meantime, I've bought myself a back walnut stave to make a second selfbow.
I'm looking for advice from anyone had made a bow from black walnut before. Should i use the exposed layer of sapwood as the back? As you can see from the photos, there is a layer of clear sealer on the ends end back. Can i just sand this off, or should I use a drawknife to remove it and chase the next ring down?

Can I incorporate the heartwood into the bow? (thinking about making it 3/4 sapwood and leaving the heartwood on the belly for the last 1/4). If I wanted to, could I make it fully from heartwood?

Thanks very much for any advice! I'm stoked to be getting into the selfbow world - so much to learn and make!

Cheers,
   Pat
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 01:47:53 pm by plikins »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Black Walnut Stave - PHOTOS ATTACHED
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 07:23:23 pm »
Your on a good track....Yes to all of the above questions.Walnut will be wider of course though to get a 50# bow from it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 08:51:24 pm »
I've made three bows from walnut so far and have to come to love it for a bow wood. Quick, quiet, light in the hand and gorgeous wood. For 50# I would aim for about 1 5/8-1 3/4" wide limbs and heat treat it. It does very well with a good heat treat though because it's already dark, it's hard to see how it's taking. So go by the feel of the wood and the smell. You sense a shift in smell when the wood is hot enough, in addition the the back of the bow being warm when your heating the belly side. Of the three, the best look I got was getting the sapwood down to a thickness so that the heart wood started in the fades and petered out midlimb. That way you can get more of the greens, blues and purples to show. The last one I did was almost entirely heartwood where the very last transition ring was used as ye back. You can find it being built in this years bow trade thread. It was made 1 5/8" wide to midlimb before tapering to 3/8" tips and was heat treated, coming out at 55# at a 27" draw. It shoots very quick and extremely quiet, it sounds like an average wood bow with string silencers, when this bow doesn't have any.

And go SLOW with good light when chasing rings on walnut, I would use a scraper to chase the last few rings. It's doable but will give very good practice for when you work another osage stave. It seems like walnit can handle some violations, just feather them out well with a smooth transition if it does happen.

Kyle

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 10:58:48 pm »
Welcome Pat. I see you got in.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline FilipT

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 04:58:14 am »
Where are pictures?

Offline Linc

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 08:03:27 am »
I had made a selfbow maybe 15 years ago of black walnut. Sapwood is no problem. Strip off the bark and cambium layer. Even though it had very heavy tips it shot a very quick arrow up until it blew up on me at the GORH. The wood had gotten to dry and brittle. I was also feeling my oats and overdrew it.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 11:04:23 am »
I made a selfbow of black walnut.  It was almost all sapwood with some heartwood in the handle and fades.  It was easy wood to work and made a great shooter.  I think mine was right around 50 pounds at 27 inches.  I have several more black walnut staves in my shop waiting to become bows.  I just need to find the time.  I would choose black walnut over a lot of the other white wood options available to me.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 09:03:32 am »
Hard to say for certain, but it doesn't appear to be walnut. And, if a tree isn't healthy when its cut its not uncommon to have suckers popping out all over the trunk. Its a last ditch effort to stay alive.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Thunderlizard

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 10:34:44 pm »
Hey All,

Thanks so much for all of the responses. I'm not certain when I will get around to starting this bow, but hopefully I can get a start in the next few weeks! I'll be sure to post photos of the progress for feedback!

- Patrick

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 10:34:05 pm »
I've made a few by just peeling the bark and using that as the back and I don't have any of those anymore. I have one I made over a year ago that I chased a heartwood ring (it will challenge your patience, much harder than osage) and it's still going strong. I'm thinking maybe the sap wood bows broke is because of how bumpy and uneven the backs naturally were....or I just suck at making bows, who knows.
I like osage

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 12:34:51 am »
Making arrows from walnut showed me there was no difference in the density from the sapwood to the heartwood.Spine and weight was the same either all sapwood or all heartwood.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed