Author Topic: First fawn of the year  (Read 2741 times)

Offline osage outlaw

First fawn of the year
« on: May 19, 2017, 08:12:36 am »
This little guy was standing in the driveway to work yesterday.  He had to have just been born.  It's fur was still a little wet and he had very wobbly legs.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: First fawn of the year
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 09:04:47 am »
I would think mama was somewhere close by. I haven't seen one yet but I'm sure there getting ready to drop them here soon. Seeing some velvet on the bucks now.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Stoker

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 09:08:00 am »
Cool.. Haven't seen one yet either.. Should be soon..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 09:09:31 am »
I'm intrigued you were able to walk right up on him. 
1’—>1’

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 09:46:17 am »
Steve those little fellas aren't "smart" yet. If you find one that is almost new, they will lay still and you can walk right up. When I was farming  25 years ago I would run into a lot of them in the alfalfa field during the first cutting of the year. I would stop the tractor, pick the fawn up and move it over to the last wind row I made. Those little buggers will just SCREAM when you pick them up, ear piercing. But it was that or get ran through the mower.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 10:00:35 am »
Nice pic Clint.Their dropping fawns over here too the last few weeks.I usually run across a few here too every year.It'll be a few weeks before they get strong enough to run.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 10:01:50 am »
I'm intrigued you were able to walk right up on him.

Actually it walked right up to my coworker who was talking to it.  When they are bedded down they hold tight.  I've almost stepped on one before. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 02:34:21 pm »
Isnt it funny how you can feel such love and care towards living creatures, but still look forward to eating them?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 02:37:11 pm »
Its part of being a REAL hunter and conservationist, if you ask me.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 03:43:54 pm »
Its part of being a REAL hunter and conservationist, if you ask me.
I totally agree Pearl, cute little bugger it is

Offline chamookman

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 04:38:55 am »
Haven't seen a Fawn yet, but a Bachelor Group of three Bucks that has been hanging around teasing Me ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 09:04:17 pm »
Awesome!  I love seeing the little ones starting to appear.  In fact, I think deer are special creatures that make my days better every time I see one, all year long.  I had a doe in her new red summer coat walk out of the woods behind the house and follow one of my cats around.  My wife managed to video some of it.  She acted like she wanted to make friends with that barn cat - they entertained us while we were having coffee.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 09:21:07 pm by H Rhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 10:26:19 am »
I almost step on one every year when I'm out in the woods looking for mushrooms. Instinct must tell them to stay still as can be. I usually have my dog with me and she never notices them. Cute little guy!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 02:59:04 pm »
Wildlife rehabilitators get these little fellers in because people say "something must be wrong, he can't stand up!"  That's because their instinct is to lay down, curl up, and NOT MOVE! Picking them up and trying to make them stand because you think they are a bendable Barbie toy isn't helping!

Absolutely one of the cutest things on the face of the earth is a little spotted fawn. And then when they grow up and sprout some bumptous big head bones, they are desirable, too!  I see no disconnect in that at all. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 08:51:26 pm »
There was one last week here had twins behind the barn those are the only ones I've seen so far.