Author Topic: Bow wood you can find in Sweden  (Read 4923 times)

Offline Stereotype

Bow wood you can find in Sweden
« on: May 29, 2017, 06:21:01 am »
Hello!

I'm totally new to the art of bow crafting.
I've done a lot of research and feel ready to try and make my first bow.

The only problem is finding the wood.
I was hoping that the trees growing around my area (västernorrland) would be of any use.
I'm not expecting to make incredible bows but everywhere
I try to get information about Birch, Fir, Pine and Alder tree which is pretty much what grows here. I get nothing but bad/semi-bad experiences with said trees.

I was hoping to get in contact with any swedish bowyers or anyone with experience about these trees.

Best regards Erik.

Offline loon

Re: Bow wood you can find in Sweden
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 06:27:36 am »
Birch alone can make good bows!

No junipers?

Maybe you could take inspiration from Saami bows. Compression pine (not a certain type of pine tree, but the reaction wood from certain parts of the tree: branches or the trunk if the tree is made to grow bent, called lyly by Saami apparently) backed with birch, works well. Some of them actually were selfbows, apparently.

Certain pine species have better wood, too (pinus sylvestris?). Kviljo would know more. Actually, "Alongside a mountain, or a bog where the ground is soft is usually good. But any curved trunk will be ok."

Here's some he made. But I think a straight bow is better for a first...

Though apparently they can have handles, too (made by someone else)

Code: [Select]
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_doQrQrvAldg/TL1mTl155zI/AAAAAAAAABI/l67FL1n926g/s1600/IMG_0087.JPG
from https://northernwildernesskills.blogspot.com/2010/10/fenno-ugric-bow.html

Someone made a very nice birch flatbow. I'm trying to find it..
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 03:49:58 pm by loon »

Offline loon

« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 09:38:46 am by loon »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 08:19:28 am »
Welcome to the PA Streotype.It would be enlightening to most of us if bows were made and shown from local Sweden wood.I'm sure different types of terrain might grow different species of wood.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 09:11:57 am »
Welcome to PA Stereotype.  I recently completed a bow made from white birch.  It turned out to be a pretty good shooter.  It is long and wide, I forget the exact dimensions.  I think I ended up with a 48 pound draw at 27 inches.  It was pretty easy wood to work with.  I would recommend a low stress design and you should be able to get a shooter.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 09:37:13 am »
I've made a small bow out of a sapling alder (alnus glutinosa  if I remeber right) and despite it was just a kids bow I was really impressed how good it shoot
I'm pretty sure if you're not asking for a very heavy bow alder could give you some satisfaction
It's really easy to find it along the rivers and usually it's pretty straight.
I left the bark on the back and even after many years and alot of abuses it resists. I like the color, sort of dark brown-gray with some silver reflex

Offline Frodolf

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 10:02:41 am »
Hi Stereotype! I'm a bow maker, and I'm Swedish. Yay! Google my name, Nils Markus Nyström, and you'll find my website.

I live in Uppsala, a bit south from you. My guess is that your best bet for a self bow is rowan (rönn). Make sure it's straight grained though. Depending on how far north you are you could maybe find maple and bird cherry (hägg). Maybe even Swedish whitebeam (oxel) but I doubt it. Then, of course, you got all the garden stuff, cherry, apple, plum, etc. I've tried making a number of birch bows but have never had any luck. Some of my most frustrating bow making moments have been with birch. Just last week I had a birch backed bow develop splinters out of nowhere. Birch hates me. Of course it grows everywhere and dries easily, so it's an easy wood to come by. I suspect you should try to find birch that grows as dryly as possible. Give it a go and make the bow longer and wider than you want, maybe you'll be more lucky. If you ever pass through Uppsala, I can set you up with staves from hazel, elm, ash, maple. Just email me.

Offline Stereotype

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 10:13:09 am »
First I would like to say thank you so much for the warm welcome.

Thank you so much for the good answers.
You made me realize that there are a lot of tree types growing near me that I didn't think of. I actually have a lot of rönn (Rowan) growing here.

I will definitely check out your site and give you a call if I am close.
Now I have to go out and find myself some nice staves to dry.
You will definitely hear more from me and my new bow making career.

Offline loon

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 05:07:41 am »
very cool

apparently you can reduce a wet stave to a rough bow shape for faster drying. and do something like putting it in a hot car.

But I really don't know how you'd avoid splitting, checking..

Offline Stereotype

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 08:57:02 am »
I've read that you should glue our paint the ends to avoid the wood splitting, can anyone confirm?

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 10:24:37 am »
Yes, it helps

Offline Stereotype

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 04:29:31 pm »
Thanks!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 11:02:39 pm »
Stereotype,
Welcome aboard!  The members on this site have a lot of knowledge about bows, and are willing to share it.  They are quite friendly and have a sense of humor!  If it can happen in bow/arrow making, somebody has had it happen to them!  I am not one of the  "old bowyers" , old yes, bowyer no, not yet. 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 02:15:26 am »
Do you have haselnut? It looks like quite a few people in Germany use it there because it grows like a weed and no one cares if they cut a few staves (with permission, of course) I have seen several made on YouTube. Haselnuss Bogenbau should get some hits.  Looks like it makes a solid bow

Offline Stereotype

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 03:14:19 pm »
Hawkdancer I can tell that I've come to an amazing place of knowledge I've skimmed the forums here and there are a ton of great topics here. Looking forward to becoming a regular member.

Jeffp51 We have them growing wild In the southern part of Sweden. I live in the northern part of the midsection of Sweden. But it should be possible to get in contact with people in the south that could trade some!