Author Topic: Arriving at a desired draw weight  (Read 3907 times)

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: Arriving at a desired draw weight
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 03:07:52 pm »
Bathroom scale on the floor while floor tiller. Like perlie said.... get a bow of known weight, then flex the limb on the scale, write down the poundage, do this to both limbs. Take your stave and do the same, you can get real close this way.....remember to leave it over weight for finish tiller and sanding.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline timmyd

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 03:55:41 pm »
I was always told when you find an issue don't pull it any further until you fix it. Just curious how you guys are pulling eight to target weight before checking anything or am I misunderstanding something? If so then I would say the secret lies in the floor tillering.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 04:28:27 pm »
I was always told when you find an issue don't pull it any further until you fix it. Just curious how you guys are pulling eight to target weight before checking anything or am I misunderstanding something? If so then I would say the secret lies in the floor tillering.
Pulling to target weight on a long string isn't the same as pulling target weight on a braced bow...
I also specified pull to full weight unless you see something wrong with the tiller.
This post on my blog is rather wordy but explains why you need to pull to full weight early on.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/yew-stick-bow-and-draw-weight-to-brace.html
I'd be interested to know if you think it makes sense!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.