Author Topic: Experimental Bow  (Read 3965 times)

Offline Hawk

Experimental Bow
« on: May 16, 2017, 10:18:07 pm »
I'm new to the forum and have been trying to make my own bow for about a year now. Every one of them cracks eventually.  So I tried something new.  I searched the forum and didn't find anything mentioned, but I might have missed it.
I do other woodwork and one of the finishes I use is Famowood Glaze Coat. It's a two part epoxy finish, high gloss, that takes 24 hours to cure.  And you are supposed to pour it onto your piece.  And so naturally some overflows onto the news paper you spread beneath the project.  I noticed that if it was a thin coat on the paper it was flexible, but I thick coat would break.
So I made a simple, straight forward longbow out of white oak and backed it with 2 strips of hickory, side by side (I didn't have one wide enough). I used the glaze coat to adhere the backing to the bow.  After that set up, I brushed on a thin coat overall of the glaze coat.
So far it is doing fine.  I left it strung, and after a couple of days one end of the backing came loose.  I used regular epoxy to glue it back, but if it comes off again or on the other end, I'll remove the backing, sand it down and reglue it with TB3.  But so far the glaze coat is acting like a coat of fiberglass.
The bow is 70" long and 45# at 28".  Any comments or feedback welcome.  I'll post some pics when I figure out how to do that.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Experimental Bow
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 11:59:10 pm »
You left the bow strung for a couple of days?  :o
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Hawk

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 12:28:44 am »
Yes.  This whole thing was experimental, and I wanted to see if it stayed together.  Better to pop like that than when shooting it.

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 02:11:45 am »
Hawk

If it is going to break, it will probably do it at or near full draw. Leaving it strung just weakens the wood and creates what we call stringfollow, or a permanent bend towards the string side when it is unstrung. Actually the epoxy probably separated for a similar reason, as it can tend to creep under constant stress, especially if it has not reached it's full strength yet. I would be a little leary of using tb3 over epoxy to reglue the hickory. If a reglue is needed, i would use the epoxy again. If the coating on the back does not have any reinforcement or fibers, then it really will not have the effect of fiberglass, which is a good thing because hickory is quite capable of getting the job done, and fiberglass is not considered primitive.  looking forward to seeing some pics, and welcome to the forum.

Offline Hawk

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 12:07:48 pm »
Thanks, Willie.  What I know of bow making comes from watching youtube videos.  Didn't see one about stringfollow.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 12:37:22 pm »
I do not believe any coating can handle tension forces!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 12:38:48 pm »
Or compression for that matter.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 12:51:28 pm »
Hello and welcome to PA.  Saw you are in KY so you are surrounded by people who know what they are doing and good bow wood. 
You would do well to find a good stave and make a selfbow.  I also really recommend reading the Bowyers Bible 1.  It'll get you your fundamentals.  Cut some hickory, osage, etc.  Find a mentor!  Experimenting is great but it sounds like you should get your first victory with a straight forward hickory bow or even better Osage.

Hope it all comes together for you.

1’—>1’

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 03:42:59 pm »
   Hawk, you might even mention where you live. You may be able to hooks up with one of the guys here for a few sessions.

Offline Hawk

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 03:45:50 pm »
Henry County, Kentucky. I just co-sponsored a trad shoot with a local archery shop/range, and only 1 guy showed up. So not so sure about local bowyers.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 03:56:13 pm »
I'm not to far away from you.  Across the river and north just a little ways.  I'm about 25 minutes from Carrollton
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 04:15:47 pm »
If I lived close to Osage Outlaw I be making a pest of myself I'd be there so much.lol.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 04:29:35 pm »
Hey Hawk.....
I live in Louisville on the south side "Fern Creek" Give me a holler some time.  The Outlaw and I get together every once in a while and make shavings. even turn out a bow once in a while.  Might even have a dry stave or two for ya to get started on.  OH ....welcome to the addiction...of bow building and just all around good time with good people.  Lots of archery events and gatherings close by too.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 04:45:59 pm »
At least I'd be able to split my being a pest between Dbar and The Outlaw. Hawk those are two fine men there you got good neighbors.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawk

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 10:47:30 pm »
A friend has offered me an osage stave he cut several years ago, and another friend gave me a strip of bamboo.  I haven't pushed for the osage, as I found it a bit intimidating at this time.  But if you guys are willing to help.....