Author Topic: A hickory board bow -- just to remind myself that I know how to do it  (Read 2548 times)

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
I've had a string of bad luck with a few bows I've started, and really have only made two or three in the last year. So a while back I bought a few boards and figured I'd do a board bow or two to get myself back into it. Board bows are simple, (comparably) easy, but can still turn out nice.

First one I decided to do was a 1.5" hickory board, and I'm pretty happy with how it came out. First time doing a board bow on the form I've been using for heat treating/reflexing, and it's nice to see how clean of a curve it can take coming off the form. I'm happy with the unbraced, braced, and full draw shapes.

The bow is 68", 35#@28". Full width (1.5") to about a third of the way down the limbs, then a (more or less) even taper to the tips. Fully rested the bow retains some reflex, about 1.5" in front of the handle -- but freshly unbraced the tips rest about even with the handle, or a bit behind. Glued on handle gave me a bit of trouble, as they often do, but it's staying put for now and doesn't seem to be bending.

On a handful of bows now I've used this, uh, "staining" method, and I actually really like it. I take some charcoal from a fire pit, mash it up, mix it with rubbing alcohol, and smear it all over the bow. Dulls the brightness of white woods, can act as a low-key "camo," and gives the wood a weathered, aged look. I like it. Next time I do it I might do a post about it. It's easy and the result is pretty nice.

A simple handle wrap with some black leather. Not a full shelf, but a little bump (two pieces of leather glued to the bow) to indicate arrow and hand placement. String is 12 strands of Dynaflight 97. Just now started making proper two-loop, two-color Flemish twist strings. Four years into bow making.... Some little yarn puff balls that I just put on last night, so they aren't fully fluffed out yet. But they silenced the very mild twang it had before.

Living in northern Michigan with humid summers I know hickory is not the best wood for this area, but I think it did OK. Pretty much as expected for the width and length. From my limited experience with hickory and from what I know/have read, it seems that the bit-of-string-follow after unstringing, then returning to reflex after resting is normal for the wood. I won't be surprised if it stiffens up and gains several pounds over the winter when it's really dry.

This will probably be my main shooter for a little while, until I can come up with something better. I like 40-45# for target shooting, so I would like something a little heavier -- but this is what I expected for this particular bow. The arrows I have set up are flying nicely, and it has acceptable speed for shooting heavy arrows (around 15gpp...). With some nice, light arrows (<400gr) I think it'd shoot awesome. Compares favorably with the other bow I've been shooting in the same weight range (which I never posted -- maybe I will).

And now, of course, pics!

Top limb could maybe work a touch more in the inner limb, but I think that's nit-picking.

A quick video shooting it.

Fully rested unbraced profile, holding a touch more reflex.

One more full draw photo.

Freshly unbraced. As you can see, not holding all of the reflex after unstringing,  but not with a ton of string follow either. The limb tips have done a nice job of holding onto reflex.

Now I have to figure out what the next project is going to be! On the list are: (1) a long-term target bow, 40-45#; (2) finally turn one of the osage staves I've bought/traded for/been gifted into a bow instead of continually messing with new white woods and boards, of all things; (3) a 50-55# deer hunting bow to use this fall. Beyond that they're all just fun and will be good for giving away (this one might end up being gifted eventually), trading pieces, maybe even sell one here or there.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Looks like a great bow Tony. Looking forward to hanging out next week.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline paulsemp

Very nice!

What day you getting to Marshall?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Beauty! Nice tiller. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline upstatenybowyer

Nice bow for sure!  (-S And don't feel bad about the string making thing. I went 10 years making bows before I learned how to do a flemish twist.  :-[
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
Thanks everyone!

Chris and Paul, my current plan is to come down Thursday night -- but with me, my finalized plans are always pretty last minute, so that could change. Probably will have my lady-friend tagging along (I warned her that she might feel ignored), and another friend who I'm helping with a bow has expressed some interest too. But on all of it, we'll see. It will be nice to see both of you and everyone else too. These events have become highlights of my year.

@upstatenybowyer: Thanks! And yeah, I just never bothered with properly making the strings because the way I was doing them was quick and easy and worked well enough, so I never saw the point. They were what I would call a "semi-Flemish" string. But I was running low on string material, and have wanted to do some two-color strings for a while now, so it was time to finally do them proper. As simple and common as they are, I like it. It's an easy way to add a little flair to any setup.

Offline loon

That is so cool! I love it. I like the handle, and that you keep shelves where they belong >:D

Thanks a lot for sharing the charcoal thing. I was suspecting you did the acetate tannin vinegar/steel/tea thing, but that also looks really cool and I want to try it. What the heck, I'll try it with red oak.

TBB says somewhere that a very thin backing of plant fiber can make something like a 35# bow into a 60# bow. But I don't know if/when it's a good idea.

Maybe a sort of hotbox (warm box?) would be a good idea for keeping hickory bows..
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:32:51 pm by loon »

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
Thanks loon!

I actually do like shooting off the hand, but I know it is not the most consistent way to draw and shoot a bow. Any hand movement can impart movement into the arrow, which can make for an inconsistent shot. But I still like it. However, with this bow in particular I needed a way to know where to put my hand and arrow so I could do the same thing shot after shot, and this is working nicely. It's like 1/4-1/3 of an arrow width, and actually does act as a bit of a shelf. Did what I wanted it to!

I definitely recommend the charcoal. It has looked very nice on every bow I've tried it on. Did it on an oak board bow a few years ago, looked nice. Ended up a little darker than this one, which isn't a bad thing. It's very simple and the result is surprisingly good.

I am not worried about boosting the weight of this particular bow. With the width, length, and design I expected 35-40#, and that's about where it is. I could also pike it a bit, since it has length to spare -- but I think I'll be better off just shooting it a bunch for a while then hanging onto it. Like I said, I might give it away or trade it later on down the road. Plus, it's never a bad idea to have a light weight bow around just to work on form and such. But right now I'm shooting this bow really well -- so I'm happy. I have plenty of other staves I can turn into higher weight bows, and plan to.

As far as keeping it dry, I'll probably throw it in a hot car (unstrung, of course!) once in a while, and just keep it indoors with AC when not being used.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
I think you know how to do it;-) Nice and clean bow!

Offline Aaron H

Nothing wrong with that  (SH)