Author Topic: Silver Bow Nocks  (Read 4956 times)

Offline jaxenro

Silver Bow Nocks
« on: May 12, 2017, 07:50:47 pm »
Looking at Victorian style ELB designs I seen a few with sterling silver bow nocks. Did they use those 100 years ago and wouldn't the weight on the tips have an impact on performance?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Silver Bow Nocks
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 01:34:20 pm »
It's just a bit of silliness for someone who wants to be flash.
I can't see that they are really practical.
I've seen a lovely Raven head top nock, again very decorative but not really practical as it was V bulky.
IMO form follows function, and it will look good if you stick to that mantra.
I had to replace the top nock on a bow made by one of the prolific Uk bow manufactures... it was stupidly long past the string but had very little horn below the string and predictably it split  ::)
Del
PS. I inlaid a gold arrow pass  ::) it was for a bloke who had some gold rings that he wanted to melt down... I had some help from my mate Mick the blacksmith. It did the job and wouldn't adversely effect the performance.
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 01:45:03 pm »
An arrow pass is just inlayed in the side doesn't really add weight at the tips I could see using pearl or gold I mean didn't the queen present Robin Hood with silver inlayed bows according to the legend? Although I always guessed it was wire inlay

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 02:40:26 pm »
People didn't seem to obsess about minuscule tips back then. ;)
One of Pope's books showed a yew bow with Aluminum tips. Well before the time most would associate the use of aluminum.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 08:19:57 pm »
Silver looks pretty fancy, I wonder about the weight reducing performance too. Alu' nock would definitely be lighter.
 Greenman Archery UK does a lovely modern version of  silver nocks, for those who haven't seen them.

Offline lonbow

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 02:52:20 am »
It seems like silvernocks on bows have a long tradition. They are mentioned in lŽart dŽarcherie from ca. 1515. The author states that he doesnŽt find them useful.

https://www.archerylibrary.com/books/gallice/docs/chapter03-1.html

lonbow

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 01:54:34 pm »
So I received my first pair of bronze bow nocks need to be cleaned up drilled and polished but all in all they look pretty good. These are destined for a rosewood-holly-cocobolo bow as I think the dark wood will set off the bronze color

I think a sterling silver pair would make interesting ear rings for someone into archery

Offline Hamish

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 09:01:27 pm »
Hey jax', the nocks look really good. Did you cast them off an original pattern that you made or were they available commericially?

The next bow sounds like it will be a real looker.

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 05:00:26 am »
I had them designed in 3D then Shapeways prints them in wax on a 3D printer and does a traditional lost wax casting from that

Offline Hamish

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 08:01:33 pm »
I think you might have a market for these nocks if the final price is affordable.

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 08:12:10 pm »
They are affordable as miniatures I hate to think what full size would cost.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 07:40:43 pm »
 I haven't done any casting yet, but I imagine a guy could make an  original pattern from horn or wood, by hand rather than use a 3D printer.3D printers are amazing but many times doing stuff by hand (if the pattern is simple like a nock)can be quicker and more cost effective.
 A small backyard foundry is on my to do list.

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 05:21:18 am »
A person could definitely make a pattern, set up a small foundry, and cast themselves. I don't because I only do miniatures so the full size price of having it done commercially isn't an issue, and I don't have the space to do my own casting. It would be less expensive but these cost me under $20 plus a one time fee I paid to the 3D modeler to do the design for me. A set of matching bow nocks, arrow target points and nocks for 6 arrows, and a take down joiner all in bronze would still be under $100 to have made

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 09:30:26 am »
Would full size cost that much more? I would think that most of the cost would be labor. The only difference would be amount of material and bronze can't be that expensive.

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 09:39:38 am »
I will check their price an PM you