Author Topic: Heat treating/string alignment  (Read 1669 times)

Offline DC

Heat treating/string alignment
« on: May 10, 2017, 08:11:12 pm »
I managed to get a good string alignment on my recurve but now I want to heat treat it. I've lost string alignment before due to heat treating. Is there any tricks to keeping it straight?

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Heat treating/string alignment
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 08:25:00 pm »
Only thing I can think of is clamping it down during heat treating and waiting a day or so to unclamp.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 08:46:52 pm »
I've tried that and I think either my clamping or just the reheating of previously tweaked puts different stresses on it and when you undo it, it moves. I guess I'm going to have to figure a way to hold it without clamping it too hard. This one has siyahs so if gives me a uniform shape to clamp so maybe it won't be too tough. This has been my stumbling block with recurves. I spend more time with a heat gun in my hand then I think I oughta.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 10:48:09 pm »
The thing about recurves is the more you put the tips behind the back the fussier it is to have them dead nuts aligned.With reflex in limbs or degree of static your working with.A deflexed limb with recurves is a bit easier for alignment.Like Jeff said clamping it in  place is the best way.Always more work and time with making a recurve.No getting around that.You just keep tweaking till you get it right is all.Look forward to seeing what you get done.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 10:58:09 pm »
I've found a lot of tweaking with recurves and especially with any change. After the heat treating just reheat and make the adjustment. I'd suggest adjusting each limb independently and readjustment the bow for a final profile. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 02:21:53 am »
I've found a lot of tweaking with recurves and especially with any change. After the heat treating just reheat and make the adjustment. I'd suggest adjusting each limb independently and readjustment the bow for a final profile.
+1 No quick answer... just repeat until it's right or your patience gives out  >:D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 06:36:28 am »
I managed to get a good string alignment on my recurve but now I want to heat treat it. I've lost string alignment before due to heat treating. Is there any tricks to keeping it straight?

The only trick I can suggest is to do the heat-treating before you do all that tip alignment  ;D
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 10:07:16 am »
Marc that makes since to me. I'll try that on the next one. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 10:16:13 am »
The only trick I can suggest is to do the heat-treating before you do all that tip alignment  ;D

Yup. I leave the limbs on my bows at least 1/4 wider than my end goal until after heat treatment. Much of my final tillering happens from the sides of the limbs, and I use it to reach final width from the fades all the way out to the tips.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 10:29:11 am »
I do it all in one heat on one caul. Seems to work out nearly every time.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 02:21:02 pm »
Flex your recurved blank and and make note of which way it is showing it wants to twist. Heat treat it  in a slightly overcorrected shape and you'll be very close.