Author Topic: Crab apple and bamboo?  (Read 2940 times)

Offline Kegan

Crab apple and bamboo?
« on: April 20, 2008, 07:15:33 pm »
I "boarded" a crabapple tree on Saturday (6' x 1 5/8" x 7/8") and have it drying. Didn't follow the grain, and wondered if it was up to being backed with bamboo? Seems dense enough. Or should I try for a hickory backing? This will be my first laminate, and my first time making an "adult" bow from crabapple. Any information on the combinations, or crabapple itself would be much appreciated :).

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Crab apple and bamboo?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 07:29:29 pm »
I have not worked with crabapple(cause it grows twisted around here) but I would think hickory would be a better choice for your first. After you make this one you can decide if boo would be an appropriate backing for crabapple.
   You should strap that "board" to a 2x4 or form while it drys so it won't twist and curl.          Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 08:17:30 pm »
I clamped it as soon as it was boarded ;D. The board is quite twisted- why I decided it should be made into a laminant instead of a selfbow. Thanks Pat :).

Oh, and what determines if a wood would work with boo? I've seen hickory, Osage, yew, lemonwood, and ipe used with bamboo, and this crabapple seems denser than hickory, but density/compresion strength isn't the only factor is it?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 08:26:43 pm by Kegan »

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 12:18:29 am »
id love to help ya but i got no clue. id go boo, but thats only cuz ive seen it turn a REALY poorly made osage into a 60 lb missle launcher.
lets just shoot it

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 11:21:19 am »
Kegan, I've been messing around with a couple different species of apple lately and it seems like excellent bow wood. I made one bamboo backed apple but it got a slight hinge and fretted before I could work it out.  It seems to be real similar to hard maple. If you take you time and tiller perfectly it will make a out standing bow with a bamboo or hickory backing.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 11:52:02 am »
The two properties that make a wood good for a belly slat, are elasticity and compression strength.

Elasticity is a technical term for stiffness.  We want stiff wood for a belly.  If a wood isn't real stiff, then it takes a greater thickness to make a given poundage.  Thicker means more stress on the belly side.  So your denser, stiffer woods work better against bamboo which is also very stiff.  You don't think of boo as being stiff, but it is.  It doesn't stretch when bent, which is why the belly is put under more compression stress when you use a boo backing rather than say hickory.  Just about everything inside a boo belly slat, is under compression.

Compression strength is the amount of stress a wood can take before failing.  This is a little more complicated than it might seem.  You can have a wood that will bend a long way before breaking, but it might not be stiff and therefore isn't being stressed as much for a given degree of bend.  These are usually lower density woods.  Or you can have a high denstiy wood that is under more stress per degree of bend, but if it is brittle then it will fail under less stress than a less brittle wood.

I think you want stiffness and low brittleness in your belly wood.  You have observed crabapple is dense, so that is part of the equation.  Whether it is brittle or not, you'll find out when you hurry up make a backed bow.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 09:21:03 pm »
Being as the crabapple is in board form now, I should be able to get it pretty close to tiller without having to overstress the belly with weak spots- and I plan on making it a long D style as well. I think I'll have a go at it with the bamboo backing, just take it a little slow :).

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 09:32:18 pm »
What have you got to lose?  If it works you learned something...if it doesnt you still learned something.