Author Topic: Second try  (Read 3385 times)

grantmac

Second try
« on: March 17, 2008, 12:25:35 am »
Here we have my second attempt and a bow that I learned a lot of interesting things with. It's a Hickory backed Red Oak board for starters, glued-up with TB2 and about 2" of reflex (Which didn't stay past roughing out).
The initial tillering had it starting to get a bit of a whip end in one tip and some set. So I reduced everywhere but that area and it's about 55# at 28". I wasn't happy with the one end and also the set so I decided to try heat treating the belly. Well it got rid of the set and the whip-endedness but it also destroyed the laminating at one tip. Fortunately I managed to reglue the backing and it's holding togather well. Also it doesn't seem to be taking set much anymore except right after shooting it takes about an inch or so which disappears within an hour.
Lessons learned:
1) Don't take the bow down too far before long string tillering.
2) Heat treating works great, but must be done before glue-up.
3) Try and make sure the wood is dry enough and don't rush things (our climate here kind of makes the dry part difficult, I'm thinking heatbox).
4) Don't give-up on a bow or settle for characteristics that you don't want, the worst that will happen is it will break and you'll learn something.
Now for the pics. I appologize for the background, it's too wet out for a yard shot.

Offline Keenan

Re: Second try
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 12:30:49 am »
 Nothing wrong with that Grant. Infact that is an outstanding tiller and looks to have taken little or no set at all.  Good job on a very nice bow.    ;D  Keenan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 12:55:23 am »
I agree!   nice bow with great tiller. Pat ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 08:25:00 am »
Yup tiller looks spot on to me also. Well done.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 08:35:39 am »
Nice job,looks good to me. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 09:41:52 am »
Good lookin' tiller...you done well. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 12:56:47 pm »
Took me about eight bows to come close to that. Good job!!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 01:47:17 pm »
Great job, it is a beautiful bow. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Gordon

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 01:54:27 pm »
I agree with the others - it looks great.
Gordon

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 02:19:18 pm »
Ditto Everybody Else and bookmarked for March Laminant Bow of the Month, too. If you come up with an outdoor full draw, pass it over.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

grantmac

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 04:10:29 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys. I'm hoping to get my hands on some Ipe later this month and try to make some real barn-burners. This bow shoots sweet and straight with little handshock but I think the torture I put the wood through has lost it some cast. I wish I had a spot to try for range near me, perhaps it's time to make friends with a farmer.
           Cheers,
                   Grant