Author Topic: HHB Tiller check (Finished)  (Read 2313 times)

Offline clewis

HHB Tiller check (Finished)
« on: May 05, 2017, 10:39:31 pm »
Here's a shorty I'm working on HHB 53"ntn aiming for 25" draw @45lbs currently drawing 22ish". 1 3/8 at its widest tapering to 5/8 at the nocks handle section slightly narrowed. The stave is challenging because its deflexed off the handle on the right limb and has a dog leg on the last 1/3 on the left limb so its really driving me nuts. Its from a rather large tree about 12" in diameter and yielded 8 staves but all under 55" and has a brown look to it rather than the classic creamy white, I tried taking a pic but the light was not right. A few sets of eyes and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Clewis
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 08:49:32 pm by clewis »

Offline clewis

Re: HHB Tiller check (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 10:44:10 pm »
A few more showing the dog leg and the back.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 11:37:01 pm »
Looks pretty good! I think the outer 1/3 of the right limb could use a few more scrapes. Cheers- Brendan

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 02:06:41 am »
I've marked up where I think it looks a tad stiff.. just my take on it of course.
I've made the width of the arrow cover the area that I think need to bend more, it looks like a couple of slightly flat spots.
I'm assuming right limb is lower limb as that outer looks a hint stiffer?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 06:19:59 am »
I think I agree with Del. Those spots look just slightly stiff. The one on the right limb looks like it's where there is a small reflex kink on your unbraced profile so watch it close, but it does seem a bit stiff. Also looks like would be easy to develop a hing just past width of arrow Del drew on right limb. Getting Del's area bending would probably help those areas. Looks like it'll make a nice little shooter.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline clewis

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 11:39:00 am »
Hey Del thanks for the help Ill work those spots afterwork today, ya thats the bottom limb. Bjrogg your exactly right about that kink, just off the handle on the right side is an old knot and it deflexes from it then reflexes up making the kink you highlighted if that makes sense. Pb it does look stiffer so ill see how it looks after hitting the stiff spots, fresh outta sand paper though so a trip to the hardware store is on my list of things to do today.
Thanks fellas

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 12:00:59 pm »
I've marked up where I think it looks a tad stiff.. just my take on it of course.
I've made the width of the arrow cover the area that I think need to bend more, it looks like a couple of slightly flat spots.
I'm assuming right limb is lower limb as that outer looks a hint stiffer?
Del

You could say that those 2 spots are stiff or that the 2 dark arrows point towards a weak area  :).  Your outer limbs are a bit stiff also
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline clewis

Re: HHB Tiller check (Finished)
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 08:38:45 pm »
Thanks for the input folks. I did my best and ended up with a wicked hinge and set making it to 26" draw at 45lbs. At least it wasn't one of the better staves from the tree but it would have been sweet. The full draw pic is fuzzy but shows the tiller.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 08:24:15 pm »
I think the tiller looks pretty good now and 45# ain't no sally bow. Congrats.  :OK
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 02:56:50 am »
Lookin' good :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 06:18:21 am »
It looks good to me Clewis, how does it shoot now?
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise