Author Topic: Checking from boiling?  (Read 1229 times)

Offline gfugal

Checking from boiling?
« on: May 05, 2017, 03:36:32 pm »
When i spliced together these billets i noticed there was some checking cracks that i don't believe were there before. To get the splice to fit well i bloiled the ends for an hour. The cracks are only on the end of the splice. Do you think this is what did it?

What do i do now? Do you thinks its ruined or should i just fill them with super glue and hope for the best?
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline PatM

Re: Checking from boiling?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 03:45:38 pm »
Boiling makes the wood essentially "green" again so it rtends to check as it dries rapidly, just like normal green wood.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 04:35:11 pm »
I had a static tip I steamed in a HHB bow that did the same thing. I use Shellac on back of bow now before I steam. I haven't had a problem since. I did soak that one with super glue. It was a none bending area though, but I think it would work for you.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 04:45:33 pm »
I've had similar happen when steaming. If you don't put something in to stop or slow the transfer of water through the wood it'll crack. When boiling or steaming bare wood, the water soaks in and because it's above the steam point. It leaves the wood very quickly and leaves the cracks. I've had it look like a tempered glass where there were hundreds of micro cracks.

Kyle

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 05:26:44 pm »
yes thats what did it,, next time coat with tite bond ,, and it will prevent checking,, )-w(

Offline gfugal

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 06:06:05 pm »
Do you think its still good to continue finishing it? They're pretty big.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 06:09:52 pm »
As long as they don't run out the edges. I'd just shoot in some super glue and make her bend. They may pop back open a bit while tillering. But it should be fine.

Kyle

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 06:12:07 pm »
Same here.It's been my experience if they don't run out to the edge you should be ok.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 08:56:56 pm »
also there was a thread that said if you boil to long it gonna check more,, I forget how long is too long,, but I tried not boilong so long on my next project, and it seem to help,, (=)

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 09:10:56 pm »
This thread is a eek late lol I just discovered this for myself...if I may ask the checks are on the back and pretty small going to sinew arena put fish on the back it "should" be okay huh

Oh and a terrific question Gfugal I've learned so much from people like you on here