Author Topic: Deeper nocks to align string?  (Read 1550 times)

cool_98_555

Deeper nocks to align string?
« on: May 07, 2017, 12:27:31 am »
So my string is out of alignment on my quad lam bow.  Turns out it is about 1/2" to the right of center in the handle.  Can't heat it and align it, so can i cut one side of my nocks deeper? Will that bring the string back to center?

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Deeper nocks to align string?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 05:22:14 am »
You can actualy take small amounts off wood on the out bound side of the tip  & it pulls the string more to center  I have done it before where  I had to do both tips to get alignment I think there is some writings on it in TBB also a good article on limb twist at the top of the home page here which is some times related , if it's pulling towards the arrow side you could use it to your advantage making the bow more center shot?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

cool_98_555

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 08:34:06 am »
Outbound...you mean the side of the tip that the string is leaning toward or the other way around?  Are you talking about deepening the groove on that side ?  Thanks for your help.  I absolutely hate misaligned strings

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 09:13:30 am »
Yes, I do it often on self bows. Cut the nocks deeper on the offending (off) side to bring the string closer to center.
Then after full draw you can even off the nocks with a rasp, etc.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 11:59:16 am »
If you weaken the wood on the tip of the offending side it will make the string pull to the other side if you go to the very top sticky note  limb twist is explained  & the same methould works for minor string alignment  it's hard to exsplain but there is some nice graphics in there or deepen the knock like Jawge said
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 12:15:37 pm »
Is the bow pretty straight at brace?  No twist or anything? If that is the case you can cut each nock deeper on opposite sides to bring it closer but it does not have to be dead nuts center
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 06:05:09 pm »
As long as the string lies within the handle, I don't worry about it too much. Just set the top and bottom so that the string is on the side of the arrow pass.if it starts getting too far to the edge of the handle or just past, then I've noticed your much more likely to experience some good string slap. This is due to the string naturally aligning closer to your wrist.

Kyle

cool_98_555

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 09:54:23 am »
Thanks for the replies guys.  There is no limb twist or anything like that.  One limb just veers off to one side slightly, causing the string to be right of center.  It still tracks through the handle but it is definitely off center.  This bow is also backed with bamboo, and with the draw weight being so high, the string has been cutting through the bamboo like crazy at the nocks.  I tried putting some wood overlays on but the string seems to cut through those too.  I'll either have to get some different material like phenolic slabs or horn to do some overlays or maybe even just not cut into the back of the bow where the nock is (after cutting new nocks in the sides)....not sure what i'm going to do there yet.