Author Topic: My First Bow  (Read 5540 times)

Offline BearNecessities

My First Bow
« on: May 03, 2017, 01:45:23 am »
Tomorrow, I'll be meeting with my woodworking teacher, and making a start on my first bow.  She has two yew staves for me to choose from, though I'm quite (happily) surprised at being offered yew for my first bow!  Everyone I know who has made a bow, has gone on to make more.  I take it this is an addictive craft?

:BB
Annie

Offline Chief RID

Re: My First Bow
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 03:31:50 am »
Some how I escaped the addiction. I made my first many years ago and it broke while tillering. My second bow followed soon after and it still rests on my wall with a couple lifted splinters after being shot for about 5 years. I have not made another yet but I have three in different stages of prep. Welcome and good luck.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 03:43:41 am »
Welcome to Our sickness Annie ! (=) :OK Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 06:48:17 am »
To most, yes it is addictive.  I made my first twenty years ago.  I may take breaks now and again, but I always seem to find my way back to my shaving horse.  Take your time, be patient and learn.  Best of luck to you on your first attempt.  Don't be disappointed if it is not perfect, just learn everything you can from it and apply that to the next one.

And welcome to the group.

Kyle

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 06:54:18 am »
Welcome to PA Annie, for me it started out Flint knapping, then arrows and then bow. When I shot my first crudely made stone point arrow with my first poorly tillered selfbow I was totally hooked. Hope you have the same feeling. Look forward to seeing that yew bow.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 08:54:32 am »
Welcome to the PA.It can get addictive.Each person's different.As for me I like to hunt.The concept of going out into the woods and getting practically everything I need to bow hunt appealed to me.Some people pick it up like a breeze.Very rewarding though.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 11:18:41 am »
Welcome Annie. Many would disagree, but I think yew is a great bow wood for beginners.
Where do you live? And yes, a very additive hobby!

Offline BearNecessities

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 04:13:50 pm »
Thank you all so much!! In a few short hours, I will meet my future bow, and get started.

Offline BearNecessities

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 04:17:02 pm »
Wizardgoat, I'm on Vancouver Island and I'm grateful for your opinion on the yew!

:BB
Annie

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 04:27:31 pm »
There are a few of us on Vancouver island. I'm in Campbell River.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 06:19:27 pm »
Cool, I'm in Vancouver. You should come to our bow gathering in September in Cumberland.

Offline WillS

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 06:50:57 pm »
Yew is the best bow wood for beginners!  You could tiller it with your eyes shut using a hammer and chainsaw and it would still behave and make a good bow  ;D

Enjoy the addiction!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 07:44:24 pm »
Welcome Annie! The first shooter I ever made was from yew.  8) Unfortunately, it's probably sitting in an evidence room somewhere.

I was shooting it into my garage when I lived in the city, a police officer saw me, and confiscated it. Apparently it's illegal to shoot a bow and arrow in the city of Rochester, even if it's into a garage with concrete walls. No hard feelings though, I know he was just doing his job.  :)

Anyway, great to have you aboard!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 08:42:32 pm »
Yes it is an addiction.

Ladysmith here.  The island is filled with bow wood. Half the fun is finding it!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 09:04:30 pm »
Welcome, Annie. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!