Author Topic: Learned a lesson the hard way today...  (Read 1781 times)

Offline dirthas

Learned a lesson the hard way today...
« on: May 01, 2017, 11:19:47 pm »
So I strung up my small sapwood/heartwood Osage bow today and took a few shots. I must have put 700+ through it already. It pulled about 43# @ 27" and was 46" ntn with a stiff handle. Yes, you're correct, it was over-stressed and today I paid the price.

You can see the hitch in the lower limb's fade where the failure occured:

Here is the splinter that lifted on the back, and the chrysals that had already formed at the exact spot on the belly:

I even wrote a blog post about how this bow is testament to Osage's forgiveness. Looks like I spoke too soon  ;)

In retrospect, based on the tiller alone, there is no reason I should have deemed this bow fit to shoot.

Now it goes back on the wall to remind me of lessons learned while I work some other staves. Eventually I'll take it down to repair it with some super glue and a sinew wrap, but I'm not too confident it will help.

Offline sleek

Re: Learned a lesson the hard way today...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 01:43:14 am »
700 shots, hellova deal. Id call it a success.  Shorties with long draws are not forgiving. Dont be so hard on yourself. Jow wide was that bow? Howd it shoot?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 02:26:16 am »
I hate chrysals with a passion... grrrrr ftttzzzz hisss.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline dirthas

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 01:21:17 pm »
Sleek I think it's about 7/8" wide at the handle and 1/2" at the tips. It actually shot really well and surprisingly smooth. Now ME on the other hand... I found it hard to control such a small bow

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 02:00:23 pm »
Dont give it up. Not many here can make such a small bow. Especially one that thin pull so far. Go wider next time. 1.5 to 2 inches if you can. And recurve the tips for less stack. Then deflex the fades to bring the recurves tips even with the back of the handle to reduce stress. You will find thats the magic combination for these shortie stuff handle bows. I habe made a few of them and they shoot great.

Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others