Author Topic: Hickory Board Bow - where should I remove the last few pounds?  (Read 3563 times)

Offline txdm

After my previous lesson on abrupt handles, I've made this one with more fade length and a full-width handle billet. The board has perfect grain with no twist.

I've got it down to the last 5 or so pounds to reach my desired draw weight, and I'm looking for recommendations on what part of the limbs to remove it from.

Braced:

Draw:

PS, I'm planning to put in a single back board for my tiller setup, that shadow on the right side back board is annoying.
Thanks for looking!

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: Hickory Board Bow - where should I remove the last few pounds?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 11:18:02 am »
What's the front profile look like? Is it a pyramid, tapering straight out of the fades? Or does it have a parrallel section for a length of the limbs?
If it's a pyramid the left limb looks good to me though is bending a bit hard at the fades. and the right limb is pretty flat mid limb. If it had parrallel sides, then it's bending too much in the first 6" of so of te fades. And the flat spot in the right limb is still there.

Kyle

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 11:18:22 am »
Handle looks good.Nice tillering set up too.I'd take the last few pounds from your outer limb thirds.It's bending at the moment rather sharply from the fades a tad.Especially your right limb at the fade.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 11:22:07 am »
too me it looks like you need to start at about your first pencil line on your backboards, and continue to two or three inches or so past the second pencil line.  the mid limbs onward look really stiff, but the tips should stay a little stiff

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 11:39:25 am »
I'd say to get the mid to outer limbs bending more and stay away from the fades. They are bending a bit too much.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline txdm

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 11:57:22 am »
Thanks for the help everyone!

The profile is parallel at 1.75" from the fades out to the last third, then tapers to 1/2 at the tips.

I'll work on the mid-to-outer sections and even it up. I'll ask later on about how much I can get away with removing at the tips to make them lighter.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm by txdm »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 12:57:53 pm »
Yourb tips look thick enough so you should be able to narrow them down to at least 3/8" at the string grooves.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 03:37:36 pm »
I agree with Patb, too much fade bend get the mids and outers moving
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bushboy

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 05:39:03 pm »
Agreed!unbrace it and sight down the limbs.the areas working to much will show set and vise versa.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline txdm

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 07:51:53 pm »
I did some more tillering and heat treated it today:

It ended up right at 45# at 26", which was the upper end of my goal draw weight.

Also got the handle started.

It's still a bit boxy, how much can I get away with rounding off the belly side of the handle?

The reason I try to wait as long as possible to make the handle is because it's too hard to resist shooting, and boy does this one shoot great.

After all this tillering in on a humid day and 50 test arrows, it was showing about 2" of follow and it settled back to 1-1/2" of set. That's probably unacceptable to some, but I can live with it for now. I'm mostly glad to have a nice 40-plus shooter to play with.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 08:05:07 pm »
Nice work!unfortunately you have a nasty hinge on the right!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 10:45:33 pm »
Nice work.  It looks good.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 01:01:01 am »
you can and should round off the handle and fades quite a bit more.  give the wood a chance to fit your hand, then it will by YOUR bow.  Those mid limbs look like they could use a little more bending, but it looks much better.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 07:33:49 am »
Glad you got a shooter txdm, as said looks better but still bending a bit to much at right fade. Have fun shooting this one and start another. Great to see improvements.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline txdm

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 09:05:37 am »
Nice work!unfortunately you have a nasty hinge on the right!

Glad you got a shooter txdm, as said looks better but still bending a bit to much at right fade. Have fun shooting this one and start another. Great to see improvements.
Bjrogg

I worked quite a bit on the right side then realized when I flipped the bow around it looked like the other side was hinged. I need to get my lighting centered before I do any more on it.

The set dropped down to .75" overnight!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 09:15:36 am by txdm »