Author Topic: Can You See The Lakota Bow In This Stave??? ( NEW PICTURES)  (Read 23868 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Can You See The Lakota Bow In This Stave???
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 11:34:27 pm »
Well now you got me. Which is the belly and what's the back?

The Belly is on the Right side of the Picture......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 11:39:17 pm »
Ah I thought you were going for a deflex reflex. In that case I would leave it alone
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 11:43:57 pm »
Yankee  I have one hear that I am waiting for snake skin to finish out and I recurved the tips on it it looks okay you going to be able to draw it to ware it needs to be without string coming off if not go ahead and flip those tips  :o
                                                                Dennis

To flip or not to flip that is the question
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 12:10:58 am »
Ah I thought you were going for a deflex reflex. In that case I would leave it alone

Marc...the Bow I built so far is just like the one on the Bottom of page 66 in TBB vol.3.....but I am leaning towards making it just like the Bow on the Top of the Page.....what do you think?????
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 01:29:22 am »
Yankee, with dry wood you are risking checking if you use steam to make corrections. A little dry heat(I put oil on the wood, some don't) and a little pressure will recurve the tips. You don't need much and it will help with the string angle at full draw on that short of a bow.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2008, 01:37:07 am »
Thanks Pat.....the Heat Gun it is.....thats what I was wanting to flip the Tips for....this is a really short Bow...and I want the String to stay put at full Draw!!

Once I flip the Tips....how long do you think I should leave it in the Hot Bx???
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Keenan

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2008, 01:39:15 am »
 Yankee thats looking really good. I like the way you are using the natural shape as much as possible. I would do like Pat said, Dry heat and roll the tips up some to help the string angle.
  Given the shape of the wood that you started with, you reall good chosing a style that fit the shape. Go for it  ;D You can do it !  Keenan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2008, 01:44:52 am »
I use a hot box as needed. If the wood sounds dry and you don't notice any set(or very little) as you work it the hot box may not be a necessity unless the humidity is high. You can get osage to dry! :o   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2008, 11:21:31 pm »
Well Guys.....I could not stand it no Longer.....So I made a Cawl.......cut the the Tips off ....1 inch on each side ....to get rid of the Nocks I carved in....since they would not fit with the New Style...... So now She is right at 48 inches in length....I heated her up till you could not touch it for long.........and had the Wife ready.....We stuck it in the Cawl....clamped Her down in record time .....and now I have a what.... Cupid Style Bow..... I like it better now anyways....I just hope that with the Natural Snakiness of this Stave...that the Flipped Tips don't become a problem!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

Re: Can You See The Lakota Bow In This Stave??? ( NEW PICTURES)
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2008, 08:30:30 am »
That looks way to short for ya yankee better send it to da UP eh ;) ::) :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2008, 09:22:23 am »
That's beginning to look like it really has great potential!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2008, 09:24:13 am »
We'll see how much Potential I have ....the wood has a Lot!!! As for the Length...Well Dana ....I am going to have to learn to Snap Shoot now aint I!!!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2008, 11:49:04 am »
 ;) ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Keenan

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2008, 11:55:38 am »
 Hey Yankee thats looking sweet ;)  I know someone with a real short draw that could shoot that just fine ;D ;D ;D  Hate to see you develope any bad habits by to short of a draw. >:D  Keenan

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2008, 11:15:09 pm »
I've been wanting to do one with a profile like that for some reason - just looks cool :), but man that's short :-X. Waiting to see how she turns out and performs ;)...
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.