Author Topic: Can You See The Lakota Bow In This Stave??? ( NEW PICTURES)  (Read 23866 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Can You See The Lakota Bow In This Stave??? ( NEW PICTURES)
« on: March 16, 2008, 01:54:56 pm »
Can you envision the Lakota De-flexed Handle Bow in this piece of Hedge Wood??? I can....now all I have to do is bring it out..the Stave is only 53 inches long and 5 inches wide at the widest end....but I think that this little Osage Limb will be a good Sioux Bow....we'll see!! I am shooting for about 48 inches and about 1 1/4 inches at the Handle area.....it's a little Snaky...but not bad....Will keep you posted as thing go....don't have much time this weekend....but I will get it roughed out and in the Drying Box....it was cut last Spring ....so it is probably dry enough....I am lucky it didn't split to heck....since I never removed the Bark or Sapwood!!!! What a fool I am!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 12:36:46 am by yankeemongiat »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Can You See The Lakota Bow In This Stave???
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 02:24:36 pm »
I wouldn't go by the natural shape as to the bow style to make but split it as to the compression side/tension side and make it(the tension side) the shape you want with a little heat. Split it, remove the bark(and sapwood but that isn't necessary for a successful bow) and seal the back and ends. Even though it was cut last year, with the bark left on it might not be as dry as you think. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"! and it doesn't take but a few minutes to seal it.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 02:40:22 pm »
Thanks Pat....I split it to the Center...saved both sides even.... So I am getting better at this!!!I stripped it to the Heartwood....I am not going to chase a Ring till it's dry....you are right....still feels a bit Damp....and I don't have a Moisture Meter either...so it's off to the Hot box with it for a while!! We'll see just how bad it twists up on me....I was planning on Heat Bending the Bow Style into it....I wasn't depending on the Natural Shape of the Limb!! I know what Hedge does after it is split!! I just have a bad tendency to look at a Stave...and it tells Me....I am a Wampanoag Bow....or I am Firewood!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 06:17:13 pm »
Looks like a good hunk a wood :). Interested ta see what come's out of it..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 06:32:09 pm »
Looks like a good hunk a wood :). Interested ta see what come's out of it..
Cowboy........Either Magic.........or a couple of peices of Firewood......your guess is as good as Mine right now!!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cowboy

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 07:22:26 pm »
 ;D ;D
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 08:09:56 pm »
It's got the right shape so I would make it just as it is. You can make a gull wing from the other side
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 08:12:07 pm »
Now thats a Though Marc.....two beautiful Primitive Designs from on Stick......cool!!!!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 03:25:43 pm »
Sounds good, keep us posted! The bend of their bows was usually reflexed handle, deflexed limbs......so it was opposite to what we would do now days. You could do it whichever way, though, I suppose. It'll make a cool looking bow either way.  ;)
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 10:33:11 pm »
Well I could not wait any longer....so here is what I got as of today....I am still leaning on Flipping the Tips on it and making it a Recurve of sorts.....what do you think???.....I cant beleive how rubbery this stuff gets with a little Heat!!!! Anyway it is back to the Hotbox for this little guy.....It ended up 50" Long....1 1/4" thick in the Handle...and 1 3/8" wide tapering to 3/4" Tips .....so far anyways!! I shouldn't have done it....but I crowned the Top Tip....so I can put Horse Hair on it.....cut the String Nocks to....I know that this is jumping the Gun....but it seems to be dry enough....when I first removed the Bark I was worried that it may still have too much Moisture....but Saturday I took it out and tapped it on the Concrete Floor and it rang like it was Dry.....I hope that it wont split.....if it does....I'll shorten it up some more!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 11:22:30 pm by yankeemongiat »
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cowboy

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 11:30:36 pm »
Well damn - that's lookin good! And no heat required so far - aughta be a shooter :)..

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 12:15:09 am »
Well damn - that's lookin good! And no heat required so far - aughta be a shooter :)..

Posted by: yankeemongiat 

Well I could not wait any longer....so here is what I got as of today....I am still leaning on Flipping the Tips on it and making it a Recurve of sorts.....what do you think???.....I cant believe how rubbery this stuff gets with a little Heat!!!!

>:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

It needed a little convincing to get the Bottom limb to look like the Top did naturally.... So I cheated and clamped it in my Homemade Osage Presser!!!! I made a form out of two 2X8 Treated Boards I naile together....cut the Shape I wanted....Steamed the Piss and Vinegar out of her....and clamped Her up for the Overnight....and this is what I had this Morning.....but I think I will let it cook till this weekend...then I will decide on what to do next....I know She is getting a good backing of Ostrich Sinew....but I am still thinking about flipping the Tips....really flipping them
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 12:22:18 am by yankeemongiat »
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 11:43:51 am »
I would use dry heat on the ends of the limbs and just continue the natural shape of the bend that you have at mid limb.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 10:07:37 pm »
You think so Marc??? I was really wanting to kick them back the opposite way and make it look like a Cupids Bow of sort...you know like Reflexed Handle .....Deflexed Limbs...... with Recurve Tips.....any thought?????
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 11:30:20 pm »
Well now you got me. Which is the belly and what's the back?

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com