Author Topic: static recurve tiller check  (Read 2455 times)

Offline silent sniper

static recurve tiller check
« on: April 17, 2017, 10:29:22 pm »
Hey guys, this is my first recurve of any sort. I could use a little guidance making sure I am making it right. I have attached some pictures as it is right now. It is 66" long, linen backed hickory, 1.5" wide at the fades with a taper 1/2 down the limb to 3/4" tips.  The limbs were heat treated with no reflex added, they were dead straight with the center of the grip.   

BTW, the recurves are not the same. One of them splintered on me and I had to patch it. It is the lower limb, and has more of a 90 degree turn then the other side. I think the difference in recurves is messing with me, since the curved top limb recurve is lifting off the string better then the sharp angled bottom limb recurve.  i also had to do some heat bending work for string alignment on the recurves. It isn't perfect, the top limb twists a bit a full draw, but the string is staying on the limbs so far.

Please let me know what I could do to improve the tiller. I personally think the top limb fade out needs to work a little more, and the bottom limb could bend some more in the mid/outer limb section. Let me know if I am on the right track or not.

Thanks, SS

Unstrung, notice right recurve is a sharp 90 degree bend while left recurve is a more circular bend.

Strung with around a 5.5" brace height. The lower limb measures 1/8" stronger then the top limb.

String alignment on the tips through the riser. The tip in the picture is the one I had to work on. It has some twist in it towards the tip.

Full draw picture. It is drawn around 28.5-29" in the picture pulling somewhere in the 50# range.

Full draw picture rotated.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 06:33:59 am by silent sniper »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: static recurve tiller check
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 10:35:21 pm »
Looks good.I'd live with it if it's at your draw weight.How does it feel to shoot?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 10:54:21 pm »
Tiller looks good to me too. You could bring the bend back into each fade a bit but other than that, shoot it.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 08:32:15 am »
Looks great. I'd leave it how it is and make it pretty!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 11:17:01 am »
Shoot it a bunch before adding the finish.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 11:45:48 am »
I would shoot the snot out of it and if it holds the shape, sand and seal her. Good looking rig.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 06:40:04 am »
Looks good to me, as said I would shoot it a bunch and if all stays the same finish it up. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline gfugal

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 08:30:30 am »
How did you get 90° bends?  :o is it the wood or is therebsomething i don't know.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 10:00:07 am »
Some wood is just more bendable.

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 12:09:40 pm »
Gfugal,
  The bottom limb recurve is more of a 90 degree then the top limb. This came from me more or less accidentally breaking it while bending. I took a file and removing the broken/ splintered wood until I was back to good clean wood. This however left me with a limb that was only 1/8" thick. I filed it to a flat surface and glued on a square piece of wood. I then filed it to match the contour of the limb. So far it seems to be holding with no issues. SS

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 01:21:59 pm »
Looks damn fine to me :)
I'd shoot it a bit, see how it settles and maybe just fiddle and fettle it a little once you've got to know it.
Sometimes I think we need to step away for a bit.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 01:49:45 pm »
Nice work!

Offline gfugal

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 04:51:18 pm »
Those are some pretty impressive curve nonetheless. Unfortunately, I don't know how much good they are doing you. It looks like your limbs are too long for them since at full draw the string still hasn't lifted off yet (or just barely starting). I can't see the extra weight hurting too much, just consider them sweet looking onramental tips.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 05:43:09 pm »
Those are some pretty impressive curve nonetheless. Unfortunately, I don't know how much good they are doing you. It looks like your limbs are too long for them since at full draw the string still hasn't lifted off yet (or just barely starting). I can't see the extra weight hurting too much, just consider them sweet looking onramental tips.
  This again?

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 05:57:47 pm »
I would be more than excited if that's how my first static recurve turns out.  Let us know how she shoots after you've put a few hundred arrows down range!
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."