Author Topic: The original "Robin Hood shot"  (Read 2102 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

The original "Robin Hood shot"
« on: April 16, 2017, 09:05:01 am »
I noticed this on youtube, pretty neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3hDAaxHNjs

Offline neuse

Re: The original "Robin Hood shot"
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 09:30:59 am »
That is such a good movie.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 10:29:24 am »
As a kid, watched this one several times on tv. Sunday afternoons, as I recall.
Black/white of course.   :o
Howard Hill did the shooting.
Did ya notice that not a single arrow tumbled from his quiver during the sword fights?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 10:33:18 am by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 03:35:03 pm »
Great old movie, shot 30 mins from here in bidwell park in Chico, Ca
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 10:29:23 pm »
I always enjoy that film. That's Howard Hill shooting as the Captain of Archers.
One thing about this movie, when you see one of the soldiers shot with an arrow it was Howard Hill shooting an arrow at the stunt man. They had a block of wood under the costume to get shot and were paid extra for the "privilege"... or so I was told.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 03:32:44 am »
My Favorite Movie of all time - bet I've seen it 30 times now  (SH)! The original "Good triumphs over Evil" flick. Best Sword fight also - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 07:57:01 am »
Very cool, hadn't seen that one in a long time. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 08:45:43 am »
I watched the series on Errol Flynn's life, pretty dismal, he definitely burned the candle at both ends. He was in really bad shape during the time he filmed Robin Hood, he had recurrent malaria, an enlarged heart, suffered from substance abuse and often passed out on the set.

He died at 50 from a heart attack probably brought on by a life time of debauchery. He was the Elvis of his day and claimed he had 12K women in his life. The underage ones almost sunk his boat, he admitted to close friends he had been drawn to young girls all his life. Brought to court on a variety of sexual offenses, his lawyer smeared the reputations of the 15 and 17 year old he was involved with and convinced the jury he shouldn't be found guilty over such slutty girls, they acquitted him. He was facing 150 years in the slammer. The girls were actually innocent youngsters he took advantage of and got away with it.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 01:35:23 pm »
I watched the series on Errol Flynn's life, pretty dismal, he definitely burned the candle at both ends. He was in really bad shape during the time he filmed Robin Hood, he had recurrent malaria, an enlarged heart, suffered from substance abuse and often passed out on the set.

He died at 50 from a heart attack probably brought on by a life time of debauchery. He was the Elvis of his day and claimed he had 12K women in his life. The underage ones almost sunk his boat, he admitted to close friends he had been drawn to young girls all his life. Brought to court on a variety of sexual offenses, his lawyer smeared the reputations of the 15 and 17 year old he was involved with and convinced the jury he shouldn't be found guilty over such slutty girls, they acquitted him. He was facing 150 years in the slammer. The girls were actually innocent youngsters he took advantage of and got away with it.

He is the source of the phrase "In like Flynn". 

And his debauchery was not limited to those of the feminine persuasion.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 05:17:48 pm »
In the documentary they stated that he left no stone unturned when it came unmoral behavior, people, drugs, alcohol, lying about his past to boost his image. In his youth he actually skipped out of Tasmania to England to avoid prosecution for murdering a tribesman chief, there was some dili-dallying with the tribes women on his part that started the episode.