Author Topic: fish skins?  (Read 2709 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

fish skins?
« on: April 15, 2017, 08:07:24 am »
I was just curious, are there any types of fish skin that won't work as even a decorative backing? I'm wondering about trout cause I thought maybe it's too thin? It would also be cool to hear about what types people have tried. Cloudfeather's beautiful Sturgeon skin bow got me thinking. Thanks.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: fish skins?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 08:44:12 am »
The patterns on many skins don't come out like on the fish. It's not a problem with thinness, it's that the pattern doesn't transfer.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 01:16:40 pm »
The old flat head cat appeals to me.Grass carp and regular carp do too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 04:34:21 pm »
I've been wondering about how some of the fish skin backed bows where done. Are they natural colors or are skins painted? Maybe bow painted or dyed before skins are applied?
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 05:10:50 pm »
The grass carp skins are beautiful golden color.   I have a Jay Massey sinew backed bow with halibut skin over the sinew. It is just gray in color with no pattern but it protects the sinew well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 07:20:04 pm »
I tried rainbow trout once but I didn't like it. Color all faded out as it dried. Other than that the only fish I have used is flathead cat.
Steve Bennett

Limbit

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 11:37:52 pm »
I use Mahimahi a lot since it is all over here. It has very thin, but very tough skin. Normally, fisherman just tear the skin clean off in one go and throw them in a pile at the fish market that is free for the taking. Although the intensity of the fishes colours fade out as it dries, it still retains a nice bluish colour and the belly skin fades to a really nice white with little blue dots. I used shark skin a few times and for whatever reason, it became gelatinous after a few months and fell off. Not sure why that was and haven't seen anything like it since. Eel works nice, is surprisingly tough, but is really fatty. Leopard eel looks awesome. I'd imagine fish with smaller scales or non-scally skin would work best, but I've seen carp backed bows with big scales that looked nice too. Waiting for the chance to use sturgeon someday!

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 04:34:09 pm »
Check out weylin's Mollie here http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,55261.0.html
He stained the wood prior to applying the skins.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 04:50:15 pm by stuckinthemud »

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 08:48:41 pm »
 (A)
Check out weylin's Mollie here http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,55261.0.html

(A) That is stunning. How does one acquire sturgeon skins? You can't buy them can you? Guess you gotta catch one?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 09:27:24 pm »
I just acquired a pair of sturgeon skins. It was quite easy. I made a friend of mine a bow, I talked about sturgeon skins, and he surprised me with a pair. That simple.
He said he put a post out on Craigslist for a pair of sturgeon skins and posted a photo of a bow backed with sturgeon. The guy who made the bow, saw the posting and of course recognized his own bow, and called my buddy and sold him a pair. It was a guy named Keenan, who used to frequent this forum.
I guess the point of that was, try Craigslist.

Eric
Eric

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 10:26:38 am »
Thanks stuckinthemud, this was one of the bows I was thinking about. I don't know how but missed the dying instructions the first time.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 11:18:39 am »
its one of my favourites, any chance to have another look  ;)

Offline Greenriverwoodcraft

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 09:22:29 pm »
I've used mahi and tuna and I'm about to thaw some cod I got a while ago and give it a try for the first time. I ask local fish markets and this summer I'm gonna call deep see and stripped bass charters and ask them to save them for me and Plan beach trips around picking them up. Another place I have thought about but have yet to explore wood be sushi restaurants, that might be a great place for long salmon skins

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 09:46:01 pm »
I've used mahi and tuna and I'm about to thaw some cod I got a while ago and give it a try for the first time. I ask local fish markets and this summer I'm gonna call deep see and stripped bass charters and ask them to save them for me and Plan beach trips around picking them up. Another place I have thought about but have yet to explore wood be sushi restaurants, that might be a great place for long salmon skins

Now that's using your noggin. Sushi restaurants... I'll have to remember to try that!

Nigerian Proverb