Author Topic: Ink coming off rawhide  (Read 1909 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Ink coming off rawhide
« on: April 13, 2017, 06:52:11 pm »
Hello all,

I've been having a heck of a time with a design drawn with sharpie over a rawhide back. I usually finish with tung oil, but when I apply it the sharpie comes off. I tried an clear acrylic spray protectant and that took the sharpie completely off.  >:( Anyone know of a way to waterproof over rawhide without removing black sharpie in the process? I'll be forever in your debt.

Many thanks!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: Ink coming off rawhide
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 07:02:55 pm »
I do t know about rawhide, but I've had that problem with ink on wood before if I do t let the ink cure before I put finish on it. I usually wait 24 hours minimum. Then I put a gently applied coat so I don't run the chance of smearing the ink. With India ink I wait 2 days to be on the safe side.

Kyle

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 07:03:35 pm »
Use India ink. Sharpie's have a carrier that isn't compatible with some finishes. You can draw with India ink over the rawhide and ass just about any finish over it. Sharpie's also fade in sunlight. That's why I stopped using them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 08:51:22 pm »
The problem is the tung oil. Get some shellac and when you redraw the design and it is dry spray a couple coats of the shellac on it when that it dry you can put whatever finish you want on it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 09:23:44 pm »
Great. Thanks as always for shining some light in the darkness. Don't know what I'd do without PA!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 09:59:14 pm »
Shellac has alcohol for a carrier and I think it will make the Sharpie bleed. I write over dried shellac then cover the writing with Tru-Oil. You could cover with water based poly then finish the bow with whatever you wish. India ink is easier.   ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 11:30:07 pm »
Shellac has alcohol for a carrier and I think it will make the Sharpie bleed. I write over dried shellac then cover the writing with Tru-Oil. You could cover with water based poly then finish the bow with whatever you wish. India ink is easier.   ;D
Thats what i have been using for a while Pat, everything else made sharpies run, i dont use sharpies anymore rhough, water base sealer will not make it bleed

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 11:31:15 pm »
As a side note the sharpies will fade, try a paint pen instead

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 02:30:56 am »
Simple...use Indian ink :) and shellac as a sealer.
Sharpies fade and look terrible after a few years

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 09:43:55 am »
Ditto on repeated advice.India ink will be a true black or white and stay.Fiebings leather dye if given time to dry will work ok too putting finish on later I've found.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 02:12:55 pm »
They make a sharpie with india ink. I write on the bow and let it set a few minutes then put a light coat of Poly on and let that dry. Then I can spray as many coats as I want without any problems.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 02:34:16 pm »
Thanks Mullet, I had no idea they made an India ink sharpie. I tried an India ink pen first, but it wouldn't draw on the rawhide. That's why I resorted to the regular sharpie. I probably just bought the wrong type of pen. I'll look for that one next time I'm at the art store.  ;)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 04:37:37 pm »
Look for the Ultra Fine. Also, Hobby Lobby has a lot of different pens that work real good. I bought them in copper, gold and silver ink.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?