Author Topic: Quansan Cherry bark  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Quansan Cherry bark
« on: April 15, 2017, 12:14:23 pm »
I removed a Quansan cherry tree last fall and I cut it up for firewood today. It has very similar bark to choke cherry. I stripped a piece off and it is very strong and thin. Has anyone tried Quansan cherry bark for bow backing...if so, what's the best way to remove it?  The trunk is still in the ground. It is 18"+ in diameter and there is a 2' tall trunk.
 It seems to me some choke cherry bark comes from dead trees and the outer bark separates from the inner bark and peels off. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Quansan Cherry bark
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 04:47:01 pm »
Only way I know of is to take it off a tree that's been dead a few years. The bark naturally separates like you said. Maybe try a butter knife? That's what I use to take bark off and it works like a charm.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 05:07:45 pm »
The stump that is 2' tall is still alive. It started sprouting. I'll cut it and set it aside.  Should I leave it in the weather or store it in my basement?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 06:20:11 pm »
It should peel if it's sprouting.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 06:37:00 pm »
Pat, the complete bark(down to the cambium) seems to peel pretty easily but when I tried to peel the tough outer bark it wanted to run off and not come off evenly.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 08:22:23 pm »
Pat, the complete bark(down to the cambium) seems to peel pretty easily but when I tried to peel the tough outer bark it wanted to run off and not come off evenly.

That's exactly what's happened to me every time I've tried to take the bark off while it's still alive. I'd leave it in the weather. Mother nature does exactly what needs to be done. Could take years though. I'm not sure about Quansan, but choke and pin cherry bark is too thick and tough if the tree is more than 8" diameter. The best stuff I've found has been from a 5-6" diameter tree that's been dead for 5 years or so and has fallen on something so as not to touch the ground. Suspended in mid air and exposed to the elements, the bark eventually comes off clean and perfectly.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 02:59:33 pm »
Upstate, I've only used choke cherry before. When I cut this Quansan cherry I noticed it had similar bark so I stripped some off. It is thin but very strong like the choke cherry I used before.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 05:36:26 pm »
It may not be the same but Bitter Cherry has a thin outer bark and that's all I peel off. It's maybe 30 thou thick. It's looking like you can peel off the outer layer and the tree will survive. I've got a few trials going on out back.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 08:46:26 pm »
I'll bet no matter what the species it'll look awesome. Once it's on I start with 120 grit sandpaper very gently and go to finer grits from there. As soon as you apply the finish the colors appear. All kinds... silver, purple, deep red, orange, ect. It really is beautiful and I've only had one cherry bark backed bow break and it wasn't the bark's fault.  ::) Good luck!

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 09:04:31 pm »
I've done a few cherry bark backed bows. The first 2 I did as you suggested. The last one I did I left all the moss and lichens on it and just
Tru-Oiled over it. It made a great looking, camo backing. I'll post pics soon.  This Quansan cherry tree didn't have any moss on it so I will buff the bark out to expose the colors.
 I think choke cherry bark may add a little performance as well as protection.