Author Topic: Fast Flight and Fur Silences?  (Read 1031 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Fast Flight and Fur Silences?
« on: April 14, 2017, 10:17:14 am »
I've always put fur string silencers on my bows. I always had some scrap fur and I like the way they function and look. Since I switched from B-50 to D-97 and went from 16 strands to 6 or 8 I can't seem to keep my fur silencers on the D-97 just cuts right though them. Anyone else have this problem? I've been thinking about gluing some bow line on my fur before installing them
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Fast Flight and Fur Silences?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 10:37:43 am »
Im glad you mentioned that BJ just recently switched myself havent put silencers on yet Im watching this one didnt know it was a issue !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 10:40:12 am »
I haven't had that problem but I use 10 strands
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 10:43:33 am »
Raw wool yarn works well. I've also used hair on sheep skin with a shorter wool nap...but I don't use FF strings.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 10:46:08 am »
Are you wrapping the fur on correctly? It should tighten around as the string shortens. If not, it looks good, but loosens and will break free every time. I usually take 4-6 twists out of my string, wrap the fur on, then twist it back up to brace. It tightens up and stays put
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 11:08:15 am »
No problems with beaver hide on my 8 strand d97. I also do like Pearl
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 11:16:56 am »
I believe I'm putting it on correctly although I don't unwind string. I never had a problem till I switched to d-97. Most of the time they cut right though as soon as I brace the bow. I may be twisting my string more than necessary when I make my Flemish twist. That's one part of bowyering I don't like some much yet. My arthritis in my thumb just hates that job.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise