Author Topic: Things my wife says...  (Read 6151 times)

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Things my wife says...
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 03:14:04 pm »
.....Do you really need all that wood?   I hear that every spring.
I heard that more from my brother's and nephew when I first started this stuff. To tell you the truth I thought I had more than I'd use in a lifetime. Wow can't believe what a pile I already used. But Clint if you ever do get to much I could help you get rid of some.
Bjrogg
Knoll they do feel so good and different in the hands. Must almost be how it feels when a blind person feels their loved one by touching their face.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 03:24:10 pm »
My wife doesn't say much anymore. She's built a good 7 or 8 bows herself, she even harvested her own juniper and made a nice little bow with it.  She understands bow building is my therapy and meditation, and makes me a better husband/dad.
She also understands this hobby makes us a bit of grocery money, so no complaining there.
She's not that stoked on all the bow blanks I have stored in the house though haha but she understands the importance of dry wood as well

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 03:31:53 pm »
My first wife sent me to my first bow building event, which was clear across the state.  She just signed me up for it out of the blue - when I had never done anything of the sort previously.  I couldn't believe it.  One of the kindest things she ever did for me.  (Sadly I later found out there were nefarious and ulterior motives at work...  But that's another story!

My current wife, Lara enjoys the product of my bowyering, but has never really taken to the building of primitive weapons.  She does often decorate my native styled drums for me though! 

One of our first dates, I invited her to come with me to the monthly JOMO Knap-in in Pineville, MO. 

ME: "I'm not sure if you would enjoy knapping or not, but it's fun to try and learn.  They have some very good teachers that show-up there most months.

HER:"Oh I love napping, it's one of my favorite hobbies.

ME: <startled>"REALLY???!!! That's so cool!  How long have you been doing it?"  (I had just taken up knapping and was thrilled to think my potential love interest was already an avid practitioner.) 

HER: "Oh, my people  have been doing napping for centuries!  I started napping when I was a very little girl.

ME: "Wow!  That's so kewl...  Who taught you to knap?

HER: "My Dad and Mom, and sometimes my grandpa would practice napping with me.

Some of her ancestors are Native American and she very much identifies with that heritage, so I was really impressed!  I mean think of the luck!  Apparently I had just randomly stumbled upon a nest of traditional knappers that had passed the tradition and craft down through the family.  This was almost too good to be true!!! 

ME: "So, do you prefer copper tools or are your people using all traditional Abo tools?  My brother goes all abo all the way, ...but I kinda like my copper tools."

...after an awkward pause she told me, HER:  "Uhmmmm, we just use a pillow and maybe a blanket.  What are you actually talking about?"

She came to the knap-in with me anyway, and even made some little rocks out of bigger rocks for a while, ...which is still about as much as I am truly capable of doing!  We'll be married for 10 years now in December.   :KN 8) ;D (SH)

OneBow

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 03:51:02 pm »
Is she coming to Marshall with you Eric? I
Could try to save you a spot if I get there before you.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline shofu

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 03:27:50 am »
Well, sounds like I am in good company.  For the record, we are coming up on 20 years married and she has birthed and raised each of my 6 children - she knows I need to work to cope and that my bow obsession keeps me home and spending time with my kids when they will have me.  She is amazing though sometimes likes to know that she is more important to me than the stave I am working...
G
Cheers,
George

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 07:03:10 am »
Yesterday there was someone at my house giving us a quote for new windows. When I asked my wife why she never told me about this she replied, "I did, but you were doing your bows."

This kinda thing happens so often I have to wonder if she ever did tell me cause I know when she says "I did, but you were doing your bows" I really can't argue.  ::)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2017, 08:22:57 am »
My wife is pretty good about holding her thoughts to herself. My shop is a corner room in the basement full of dust and drying staves. Whenever the grandkids come over she explains about the room with the closed door, "that's Pa's office, we can't go in there".
Gotta love her.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2017, 08:32:39 am »
Miss Joanie cares nothing about bow/arrows/primitive skill of any kind but loves it ,she says because I do. :) She also said if I leave this old world before she dose she is going to have one heck of a big yard sale. ;) ;D ;D
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2017, 09:51:33 am »
As a credit to Robin she is supportive as I am of her hobbies as well.It's a 2 way street the way we see it.Even though I know and she knows that if either of us leave this world after all of it is hauled away or sold god knows where there will be some of it to keep around as a keep sake remembrance of them being here.
I think some of her stuff is silly as she can point out the silliness in mine all in jest too but accept and respect things as they are respecting the effort and time each of us put into it.It's just who we are.I still can't entice her to grab a bow and start shooting on her own yet though.
There's a lot worse things out there to be doing the way both of us see it.
Good story Onebowonder!!!!That's like the fella who took his wife out fishing for the first time.
Yesterday I caught a 4 pound bass.Twice after releasing him the first time yet too.For some reason I wished she was there to see it.I knew sh'd get a kick out of it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Badger

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2017, 03:59:04 pm »
   I am divorced but my shop for many years was right behind my ex's home. Part of our aggreement was that she could keep the house if I could keep my shop. We got along well so it was no big deal. I kept up the yard and did all the maintenance on the house.

Anyway she would see me out working on my bows in all my spare time and wander back to chat with me while I worked. She knew she couldn't say anything about the time I was spending because it was my time now but she was never without comments about if I didn't spend so much time working on bows I could be doing this or that. I would just let her know I was doing exactly what i wanted to be doing LOL.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2017, 07:26:15 pm »
I used to read a book to my kids called "Beaver gets lost"
Clarence was the beaver adopted by squirrels and when they had nest building lessons he started working on logs and sticks and never would stop.

I am now nick named Clarence cause I just don't want to stop working on my "precious bows"

My wife will ask me "don't you have a bow to work on or something?" when she wants me to get away from her

She also said my bones and bison skulls were creepy. About a week later at the huge neighborhood garage sale the skull was the very first thing anybody asked about and it wasn't even for sale. HA how ya like ma bones now???

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2017, 08:33:04 pm »
Things my wife says: "no"

Offline DuBois

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2017, 09:34:00 pm »
Funny Ben, I have said a lot of times "the wood never says no"

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2017, 11:35:36 pm »
Wife: Why do we have more trees in the house than in the woods

Going to look for more wood hun
Wife: Have fun playing in the woods!

Every bow ever made
Wife: Oh it's pretty can we hang it up over the bed!
No hun hopefully his one makes it
Wife: I hope not

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2017, 02:22:47 pm »
My wife is like Pappy's, doesn't give a hoot about archery or bow building. She did remark once that target shooting with a bow is like playing catch with a ball by yourself.

And, she's planning on a big yard sale also. Hope she doesn't sale everything too cheap. :'(
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?