Author Topic: Chrono woes  (Read 1970 times)

Offline DC

Chrono woes
« on: April 09, 2017, 08:42:01 pm »
I've always been suspicious of my chrono. I thought it was reading fast because I really didn't think with my experience that I could get speeds approaching 170fps from 40# bows. Today I went to use it and the battery was dead(I'd left it on). Fixed that and I couldn't get any more than 55fps out of it. I poked around at it and the back sensor was cracked open. I clicked it back closed and presto, it started to work. But-- now it's reading about 10fps less than before. It seems closer to the numbers that Tim Baker reported in TBB. So from now on(until I can somehow test this thing) I'm not quite as good as I thought I was :( :( and any numbers I reported previous to this are about 10fps too fast. Why couldn't it have been the other way? :D :D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Chrono woes
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 09:00:14 pm »
I shot one of my bows through a chrono years ago and was so disappointed in the number I never did it again. I now can tell on the first shot whether the bow is a shooter or a good shooter. For me, that is all that matters.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 09:21:45 pm »
Speed to me is secondary to comfort, and putting a arrow where you want it to go. On the other hand building for speed is a real challenge, with lots of factors involved. Challenge your abilities not a standard set on paper, and you will be happy with most of your bows.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 09:39:30 pm »
Yup, Now instead of trying for 170+ I'll be going for 160+ :D

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 11:56:10 pm »
Well I am still going for speed right  now. But what I am finding is this. When they draw smooth with out stack,light on the ends , thin strings with low stretch , have little shock. They scare 170 fps with 500 grains at 50#s of draw. But the whole limb needs to work. So I just keep chasing the rabbit!!! :BB
Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 01:27:11 am »
I think its a nice tool,, used with other bow making skills,, I am not afraid to shoot my bows through one, sometimes a hard look in the mirrow,, its good if you have a friend that has one, you can compare and see how they do,, if they are close,,  also remember to shoot at least one arrow length back,, if you dont it will not read correctly,,  I am shooting a bow for turkey season that is not that fast, for its draw, but( 160 fps, is 160 fps), but from shooting it through the chrono, I know its fast enough,,  and its short enough for my purpose,, sitting on ground or in blind,, so the speed in not the most important factor on this bow,, but like I said I do know how fast it shoots,, and I like to know that,, for close range hunting shots I think its more than adequate,,   if you kill a deer with a set up, and you know how fast the arrow was going, even if slow,, when you make a new bow ,, and it shoots about the same you can expect similar results with the new bow,, or recommend something similar to someone that is hunting in a similar situation,, (SH)
its a nice tool to fine tune your release as well,, when you get duplicate shots,,you know you are consistant with your release

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 09:30:20 am »
    You really can't pay too much attention to a chrono. So many factors can affect the results. You have to have exact arrow weight, exact draw length and perfect releaes to get anything really meaningful. I can't use the chrono in my backyard anymore because of high voltage wires overhead. All my readings are 20 fps fast or slow. I have no idea why it affects them like this

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 03:59:54 pm »
The Chrono I got last year I got the kit with the LED light hoods they seem to really help as far as consistency ,chronos are sensitive to light & light angles I found  but there even more sensitive to my poor release I try to get averages and doubles and triples  before I think I'm close I think there valuable tool ,it was interesting to watch speed increase as you get better tiller also found to get better readings need arrows as close to perfect spine for the bow as possible , If I post numbers I always make them lower to keep it honest !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 05:32:37 pm »
I have an old pellet rifle that shoots around 500fps. The day I played with it, it was quite consistent. I'm going to make a habit of firing a pellet or two through the chrono every time I use it. I'm positive that the pellet rifle will be more consistent than me. It's the only baseline I can come up with.

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 06:05:05 pm »
  Chronos tend to be either accurate or way off, usually something throwing them off. If your numbers look reasoable chances are the chrono is right. Release may not be good or arrow might be too light or too heavy but aside from that the chronos usually will be right.