Author Topic: Chokecherry and Hawthorne  (Read 1263 times)

Offline mtbow

• Montana Fun
Chokecherry and Hawthorne
« on: April 08, 2017, 12:28:55 pm »
My first post.   :)   Anyway, I have a couple of chokecherry and hawthorn staves that I recently cut.    The 2 CC have the bark shaved off and the ends sealed.   The staves are 3-4" dia.   So not large at all.  Should I take off the cadmium layer also?  FYI, they are a week old.

I'm assuming these 2 CC are too small to split?  Correct?   Or should I just cut them down the middle with the bandsaw? 

And the 2 hawthorn staves  are 4-5" dia.   They were cut yesterday so they are just sitting there with ends sealed.   Should I remove the bark on these as well?  Split them?  And what to do with the cadmium layer?  Stay or go? 

Boy lots of questions but I just don't know the answers and there are plenty of folks here that can help I'm sure.

Thanks in advance

Marlowe
Great Falls, MT

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: Chokecherry and Hawthorne
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 12:58:59 pm »
The cherry isn't too small to split, I would go for it. I leave my staves bark on to dry but we don't get so  many problems with borers over on the right hand side of the pond

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 01:01:09 pm »
First off welcome. You've come to the right place. I've split 3-4 inch logs in 2 but it's risky. Don't know how choke cherry splits. Might be better to cut, a kerf first. If you take the bark off seal the backs. Pictures will help people help you. Haha cheers- Brendan

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 11:20:38 pm »
I wouldn't split either of em, in my experience the vast majority of hawthorn and CC are pretty twisty, but a kerf would be the way to go if you do decide to split them.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline mtbow

• Montana Fun
Re: Chokecherry and Hawthorne/with Pics
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 03:54:04 pm »
Somebody mention pics.  Here they are.  2 on the left are chokecherry and next 3 are the hawthorne. Here is what I know already.   One of the chokecherry has aready taken a split down whole length.   So will go ahead and split it apart.    The middle stave is a hawthorne and was cut last summer and the bark stripped off several months after that.  The 2 on the right were cut just a couple of days ago.  Bark and cadmium completely taken off the big one and the far right just the bark.   Probably should take the cadmium off also you think?  All of the staves have had the ends sealed since cutting.

Thanks,
Marlowe